We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Thurso in April

Driving to Thurso in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2018, 01:31
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
34,959 posts
1 review
1. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

Probably not - them again you might. The only way to be certain is to ask next May. UK weather doesn't operate on the "if this is May then it's..." All you get is probabilities and past history is no guarantee to what will happen in subsequent years.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,534 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

Very unlikely you'll have problems. Check again in april what the forecast is.

3. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 March 2018, 01:31
London, United...
Level Contributor
33,534 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

Well, if you are not booking in advance, I'd advise you check places on your planned route and ask them a few weeks ahead what they have available. If they are full you may have to have a long drive to somewhere like Ullapool, or rethink your route.

It's one of the most sparsely populated parts of Europe, so not exactly crammed with motels.

And there might be Easter holidays when you are there.

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
137 reviews
5. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

I had to visit Thurso on business for the first time two weeks ago. The roads are of a good standard (My journey was from Dumbarton via Inverness and the A9) and although September is still within the popular visitor season, not particularly busy. The only hold-up was at the Dornoch Bridge which is undergoing repairs but which should be complete by the time you will travel. In any event, I would check the BBC's travel site and even their travel service on Teletext for up to date travel news nearer the time of the trip.

Highlands
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

Hi, we live just 9 miles from Thurso. The roads should be absolutely fine in April, with little toursist traffic, the tourist season really commences in May. There should be plenty of accommodation availabile unless you are planning to arrive over the Easter weekend, then I would suggest you book in advance. Check on the traffic scotland website for road conditions: www.trafficscotland.org Have a super trip, the coast road from Thurso to Ullapool is stunning.

7. Re: Driving to Thurso in April

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 10 June 2011, 15:29
Get answers to your questions about Thurso