We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Betty Hilla

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Betty Hilla

we are staying in betty hill in september and have rented a cottage. Looking for suggestions of things to do see etc. also have a springer spaniel who likes nothing better than a half pint of guinness after a long walk, will the local bar allow this?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,307 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Betty Hilla

As long as he's over 18

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Betty Hilla

Yep! 70 in doggie years!

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,069 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Betty Hilla

Well you have the magnificent sands of Torrisdale Bay which spans between the outlets of the River Naver, at Bettyhill end, and Borgie. The last time I walked these I had them all to myself. Then behind the bay are what I believe are the highest sand dunes in the UK and the prehistoric round house remains below them at the Bettyhill end.

There is beautiful Strathnaver and check out the websites for the Rosal deserted township and Truderscaig cycle trails. Farr Bay has really nice sands. Explore the small side roads in the area. Pop over the Tongue, lovely village. The Tongue Hotel used to be good for dinner and onward to Durness for the Smoo Caves, do a web search for these.

Mentioned in this post
The Tongue Hotel
The Tongue Hotel
412 Reviews
Tongue, UK
Durness
Durness
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Austin
Level Contributor
924 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Betty Hilla

A fabulously scenic daytrip would be to visit the Castle of Mey, the Queen Mother's former home, just east of Thurso. Prince Charles spends a week there every summer. We loved it, looking at all the Queen Mother's stuff and its location on the cliffs overlooking the ocean is lovely. The grounds are beautiful, too. You can also buy produce from the garden.

The drive to and fro is spectacular. You will want to stop at every beach long the way.

Your springer is welcome, too. The castle allows dog walking in certain areas and has a dog parking lot. But I don't think they serve Guinness.

http://www.castleofmey.org.uk/index.cfm

You will love that area. Unforgettable.

Mentioned in this post
Thurso
Thurso
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Betty Hilla

had a wee look at the castle of mey looks quite good will definetely visit. Im sure my springer can do without his guinness for a few hours as long as i can promise him a wee half pint (& pkt of crisps) later that day!!

Oxon
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Betty Hilla

And while you're there make sure you get to the Bettyhill Hotel - great place for a meal out with some excellent 'real' food and the bar not only has a great range of drinks but is the place to meet the locals and learn more about the area.

We stayed there recently and enjoyed every minute of it.

It's a great part of Scotland but beautifully quiet although you might find the narrow roads a bit hairy! Have a good time.

Mentioned in this post
Bettyhill Hotel
Bettyhill Hotel
380 Reviews
Bettyhill, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Salem, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
637 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Betty Hilla

You'll be so close to Tongue and, not only for the fine food and hospitality but also, the lovely proprietor of the Benloyal Hotel has a very friendly, playful Cocker Spaniel (and a COOL cat) who may enjoy your Springer's company- maybe a pint as well ;-)!

Just checked their website and noted that pets ARE welcome: http://www.benloyal.co.uk/

Livingston, United...
Level Contributor
633 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Betty Hilla

just returned from our holiday, what can i say about the scenery. outstanding.the beach at betty hill was stunning fortunately for us our cottage was on the door step of torrisdale beach, the sun shone everyday,what a way to wake up every morning with great scenery and a beach to ourselves. glad to say our springer was welcomed at the bettyhill hotel, had a great time in the bar with the locals and staff who are very friendly. will return.

Holland
Level Contributor
3,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Betty Hilla

Its a bit of a drive but Handa Island Bird Sactuary is absolutely magnificent.

Can't wat to go back in May.

10. Re: Betty Hilla

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 15:30
Get answers to your questions about Thurso