We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

searching

Scot in Fla
1 post
Save Topic
searching

My grandfather Kenneth MacKay came from Thurso in the early 1900's and in 1926, My father went there for a visit to meet his grandfather. I'm not sure but according to a 1901&1891 census they may have lived on Wilson St. How can I get a map, or in touch with city council or geneology in Thurso to track this down. I want to make a trip there but want to have my ducks in a row as i have other family in different cities throughout Scotland. I'm not a spring chicken so no time a wastin to stumble my way around. Thanks any help or pointers appreciated.

barnmack@windstream.net

Mentioned in this post
Thurso
Thurso
Caithness and Sutherland, UK
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Bydand
$$ - $$$, British, Scottish
Pavilion Restaurant
$$ - $$$, African, Seafood, British
Spice Tandoori
$$ - $$$, Indian, Asian, Balti
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
23,002 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: searching

these websites might get you started.

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/g...

www.scotsclans.com

www.ancestral-scotland.com

they are taken from an Insider page with lots of info on Scotland.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186485-s1/Scotland:U…

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Thurso, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: searching

Hello barnmack

I live in Thurso (like countless generations of my family before me). Glad to hear you're planning a trip across. You'll find an online map for Thurso at www.streetmap.co.uk and you'll find Wilson Street is right in the centre of town, behind Thurso Town hall and museum. The famous botanist Robert Dick was born in Wilson Street in the 1800's. There are lots of mackays still in this area, and about 30 miles west of Thurso you'll find the Clan Mackay centre in Bettyhill. Try looking at www.mackaycountry.com for further info on the clan in the north. You'll find the north west corner of the Highlands is mackay country. Caithness is traditionally Sinclair territory (my clan!)

You'll also find that the north Highland Archive in nearby Wick will have lots of local family information (highland.gov.uk/leisureandtourism/…), and there is a local Family History Society that should be able to help. It can be found at www.caithnessfhs.org.uk where you'll see a page for queries.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you decide to come and visit us!

Eann Sinclair

Mentioned in this post
Thurso
Thurso
Wick
Wick
3. Re: searching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Thurso