We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
245 reviews
'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

https:/…

Small article on GlasgowLiving.

I certainly don't get the first comment though about last orders being at 11 or some restaurants not serving drinks after 8!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,984 posts
476 reviews
11. Re: 'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

>>>Perhaps she's Mrs RS?!<<<

I like it, lol!

>>>8pm liquor laws in restaurants? Which ones? I've never encountered that. Anyone else?<<<

Nope. Last year we had wine after 2200 one night, and several beers another night from 2030-2200.

>>>As to tipping. She imported US tipping standards to Glasgow so I guess it's ok to apply UK standards when we visit the US?<<<

That would be logical, and I'm very tempted to put into practice on my next trip across the pond. After all, because I've never had tips in any job I've done, and we have a minimum wage here, I am just as entitled to have strong feelings about, aren't I?

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
29 reviews
12. Re: 'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

And number 3. I use my Amex a lot in Glasgow and Edinburgh as I collect avios points. I've never had it refused in any large store, supermarket or petrol station. Most restaurants take it and only some smaller shops don't want it - which is their right.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
245 reviews
13. Re: 'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

"Most restaurants take it".

I tend to avoid chain restaurants and in my experience, a lot, if not most small to medium size independents don't take Amex.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,984 posts
476 reviews
14. Re: 'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

I don't have an Amex in principle, but many visitors to both Scotland and the UK have commented that it's not as widely accepted as they had expected.

15. Re: 'American Mama' Blog Comments on Glasgow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2018, 14:17