We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Which St Andrews hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pontypridd
Level Contributor
397 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Some way off I know but I am planning a trip to the 2015 Open at St Andrews and want to combine it with a few rounds of golf. I'm thinking it's going to cost an arm and a leg to stay and play in St Andrews itself so am looking for suggestions on where we should base ourselves (a maximum of 8 but possibly only 2) to enjoy the Open itself and some decent golf (links and parkland). I guess we would be prepared to travel around 30 miles to get into the Open itself. We would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for the golf but are unlikely to stretch to Kingsbarns prices!!

Edinburgh
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Try the Ardgowan Hotel in North St, St Andrews. Minutes from the town and golf.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
685 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

I'm based in Dunfermline and when we go to the Open in St. Andrews it takes around an hour but the journey is relatively easy and the parking arrangements are well organised.

As for playing golf, I just played at Crail on Saturday and would recommend trying that. It's a lovely place with spectacular views as you play along the rocky coastline. They have two courses (one is the 7th oldest in the world I think). If you look up Crail Golf Society they have a good website.

A parkland club I'd recommend, and its worth the travel, is Blairgowrie Golf Club. They have the Rosemount course and Lansdowne course and both are excellent. A day at this place is a wonderful overall experience.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

There's a cluster of courses along the Fife coast. There are a number of beautiful fishing villages with good food. I'd start by looking there for accommodation - anywhere from Crail to Lundin Links.

http://goo.gl/maps/2mrY8

These villages are all under half an hour from St Andrews - on a good day, golf traffic notwithstanding.

There's another cluster of courses around Dundee and heading E towards Carnoustie.

http://www.scottishgolfcourses.com/ might help you find the perfect course ...

Pontypridd
Level Contributor
397 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Many thanks to you all. Planning now underway.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Thanks for this thread, I am in planning stages too.

6. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2013, 01:04
Edited: 08 October 2013, 01:04
7. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

8. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

9. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

10. Re: The Open 2015 - Where To Stay Where To Play?

Get answers to your questions about St Andrews