We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday brunch

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday brunch

We are a couple travelling to a wedding Saturday 29th September, we will have had a very early start and arrive at Edinburgh airport around 10ish and we are planning on getting a cab into Edinburgh we don't need to be on the train from Haymarket until 1.30 can anyone suggest somewhere nice to hang out and maybe have brunch to pass a couple of hours.On this occasion I don't want to do much walking as we'll be in our finest and can't face it in heels and a hat ! Thanks

Edinburgh, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday brunch

National Gallery of Modern Art and Dean Gallery of Modern Art, just across the road from each other in Belford Road. Nice to wander round and a good cafe in The National Gallery, a smaller cafe in the Dean Gallery. Too far to walk in heels from Haymarket so you would need to get a taxi back to the station.

Or if you just want food, then The Mercat Bar http://www.mercatbar.com but I'm not sure I could sit there for 3 hours or so.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday brunch

If you are planning on leaving from Haymarket * then fairly nearby on Dalry Road you have a little place called First Coast. It's excellent. You just have time for an early lunch. That's lunch not brunch.

I'd also vote for the Galleries of Modern Art because it's a superb place to visit. The cafe is reasonable but not cordon bleu. It's accessible, walking, via Palmerston Place and Belford Road - 15 mins walk or a few mins in a taxi. I'm with Alan; I'd recommend the Western one, the one with the landforms and water features built in front.

* Most trains through Haymarket actually start at Waverley, with about 10 mins difference in time and little extra cost. But you may already have tickets booked.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday brunch

Thanks so much for the suggestions I do love galleries so sounds a good option, and I 'll check re the train situation

4. Re: Saturday brunch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 19:16