We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Which Edinburgh hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Mill, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Hello! My husband and I will be in Edinburgh for our 3rd wedding anniversary in a few weeks. We have a tradition of having Italian for our anniversary dinner as we had Italian food served at our wedding. Can someone please recommend their favorite Italian restaurants in Edinburgh? We are big pasta eaters and prefer cozy and quaint over large chains. Something romantic would be nice. Unfortunately we only have the option of eating on Sunday and Monday evenings when several of the highly recommended Italian restaurants are closed. La Laterna and La Bruschetta were two that we were looking at, but both are closed both days. If anyone has a suggestion for a quaint Italian restaurant that is open on either Sunday or Monday nights, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

I'm very fond of both Aldente in Easter Road, and Locanda di Gusti in East London Street. Asti in Broughton Street is a good option too. You'd need to check their websites for openings. But there are lots more. If you give us an idea of where you are staying, we might be able to give you something local- most areas have a decent Italian. And some of the larger options in George street are actually very good too- though they don't necessarily fit the 'quiet and romantic' bill, they are very stylish.

Edited: 16 September 2012, 08:16
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

My brother tells me the folks running La Lanterna are retiring or have retired? He was lamenting the loss of one of his favourites ...

Italian places are usually brash and noisy rather than quiet and romantic :-)

I eat quite often at Vittoria's on Leith Walk. The food's good, it's probably quietest on a Monday - in that there are less people. But it's big hence not the sort of quiet you're looking for :-)

Another suggestion: Valvona and Crolla is an up-market deli which has branched out into various cafes and restaurants. Their food is good. They have the Vincaffe restaurant in Multrees walk, just off St Andrews Square. This runs as a cafe downstairs during the day and a restaurant upstairs for lunch and dinner.

valvonacrolla.co.uk/html/vincafferestaurant.…

I think it would fit your requirement. It tries to be sophisticated rather than quaint though. But it is 'nice'.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,771 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

I love the ambience and quality in Centotre on George st. But it is large and cavernous, and the portions are not huge.

Aldente, as previously mentioned, is very good and traditional.

Abs :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Another vote for Locanda di Gusti :)

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Vittorias on Leith walk is lovely, as is La Rusticana on Hanover street.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
103 posts
311 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Hi - Im afraid I dont agree with departed Scot on either his suggestions - maybe both have gone downhill since he departed ? Nonnas on Morningside road is very good - need to book way in advance. I also like Caffe Lucano on George IV Bridge - its really just a cafe, open evenings when they run to candles on tables but the food is absolutely spot on and home made. Al dente also gets my vote.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Hi,

I departed 4 months ago. La Rusticana and Vittorias are two of my favourite restaurants in Edinburgh and I actually choose to have my leaving dinner in La Rusticana. I have eaten there many times in larger groups and on my own wedding anniversary and cannot fault the food or the service.

There are many Italian restaurants in Edinburgh to choose from, however I have noticed that some of the smaller ones do tend to be closed on Mondays especially.

Oh and I'm actually a she :)

Wol
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Without any doubt it has to be La Bruschetta -

http://www.labruschetta.co.uk/a/index.php

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

I'd say the food at Vittoria's is just as good as always but Tony is a businessman and the business has expanded - and has become a little less personal.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Italian in Edinburgh?

Guillianos opposite the theatre by omni centre is always a good spot. guilliano and angelo will always look after you!!