We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Location for University and train station

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
236 posts
14 reviews
Best Location for University and train station

Hello, we’ll be visiting Edinburgh for the first time in October for a few days. Our primary purpose is to visit the University with our son. We’ll also be taking trips to visit other universities in St Andrews, Dundee, and Glasgow. So we need to be near the university and the main train station (Waverley, I think). For budget purposes we’ll be doing an Airbnb (rather than 2 hotel rooms). I am assuming Old Town makes the most sense. Yes? Other suggestions? Any hotels we should consider? Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
236 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Best Location for University and train station

PS I don’t see any license numbers on Airbnb listings. Should I be looking for some kind of license or other number? Thanks

Level Contributor
558 posts
1 review
2. Re: Best Location for University and train station

Anywhere reasonably central around the Old Town is good for the Uni's Central Campus, yes, or is attending one of the further flung campuses? Somewhere else might be in order there.

Also remember that the Old College/George Square are very well served by public transport - South Bridge is a bit of a transport hub for the South of the City. Many bus routes go through there and a significant number go along Potterrow/Chapel Street, within spitting distance of George and Bristo Squares. The Uni also has Shuttle buses between sites.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Best Location for University and train station

Hi, around the old town is probably the best location for you. You may also consider Aparthotel Adagio you can select amount of bedrooms, sorry not used Airbnb before. Premier Inn Royal Mile is a nice budget hotel not far from the station depending on time of year it might be reasonable?

Level Contributor
558 posts
1 review
4. Re: Best Location for University and train station

There are several decent-adequate budget hotels in the central area and now the peak season is winding down, the rates tend to be a bit less eye-watering compared to Festival time.

Edited: 17 September 2018, 04:49
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
236 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Best Location for University and train station

Thanks to all, very helpful.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Best Location for University and train station

There are multiple universities in Edinburgh. I presume you mean Edinburgh University? Just to pick a few departments randomly, music and philosophy are pretty near Old College - obvious from South Bridge. Maths and the sciences are at Kings Buildings, a mile or more south of there. Agriculture and veterinary medicine are at The Bush - well south of town. Others are clustered around George Square. And so on ...

There's lots of student accommodation e.g. Pollock Halls, next to Arthur's Seat.There are other blocks of student flats and privately rented flats all over the south side of town, though the area south of The Meadows is especially popular.

There are plenty local buses to take you from A to B to C. Don't worry too much about being right next to the department you want to visit.

Reply to: Best Location for University and train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted