We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sixt car hire Belfast

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Sixt car hire Belfast

Are we the only people to receive world class indifference from Sixt Belfast ?

We arrived on a delayed flight into Belfast to be told they were now closed (this being after 2230). £60 would miraculously re-open the company for business, and get us the car we booked. Contractually correct, if buried in the small print - beware if arriving late in the evening !

We agreed and a time to delivery of 25 minutes was quoted. We waited....until a second call one and a quarter hours later asking us if we still didn't want the car ! By now heading for 0200. As yet, there is not explanation as to why their staff simply didn't turn up.

Sixt head office now offline and not communicating. Sixt Belfast operation now offline having had their hire returned. Consider very carefully whether there are alternatives to Sixt Belfast.

85 replies to this topic
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
890 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

I agree completely - see my previous post regarding preventing me taking a car from NI to Scotland (which isn't stated *anywhere* in their terms & conditions) - I'm still waiting on any sort of a response to my email from Sixt NI.

If you think logically, you can actually find a way to contact their Station Manager directly. Let's just say that she seems to spend more time posting selfies on Facebook than dealing with customers' complaints...

Mentioned in this post
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Don't use this company! They have charged me £50 for "cleaning" as they have insisted that we have smoked in the car (In fact I picked up a flyer in the torrential rain and they have seen what could only be a couple of dots of flaked dried paint off that that could be wiped off with a baby wipe.

We picked the car up in the rain and it was wet and grimy, impossible to see the small marks on, which they have charged me £140 for. What made me suspicious was the was the staff member headed straight for the mark, like he knew it was already there, (which it was) Are they charging everyone for the same damage?

I have just had an incredibly rude email from their Director of Operations, not in response to any contact I have made, must be their standard form of communication. Absolutely disgusted.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

I've just hired a car at Belfast International Airport. You always get a Kia regardless of what it says online. I had been given the paperwork, was putting my luggage in the boot, and was about to check around the car for damage when the Sixt employee walked around the car doing the same and marking it on his copy. My yellow carbon copy was blank. Needless to say I went back to the office and got him to mark the damage on my copy. I then had another look around the car using this. I would never pick up a car from Sixt after dark. Also payment for my Belfast car hire was taken in EUROS resulting in a "Non-Sterling Transaction Fee " from my credit card provider. All prices quoted online are in sterling and nowhere online does Sixt make clear that payment is in EUROS.

Edited: 19 January 2014, 04:24
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,568 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Very strange the Euro thing.What does it say on your booking?

London
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

We have just hired a car from Sixt in Belfast City Airport.

We had to wait a while at the airport but this was our own fault as I didn't notice that it was clearly stated on the paperwork that we should phone the office on arrival.

We were picked up from the airport and driven to the office about 5 mins away. We were treated very well by the 2 polite and efficient men on duty and our car was waiting for us.

Good job I noticed the back seat covered in crisps as we might have ended up paying a 'cleaning' bill like a previous reviewer.

I pointed this out to the staff and the crisps were promptly vacuumed up.

We returned the car a week later and were assured that nothing would be charged to our credit card.

I was very pleased with our experience and would certainly recommend Sixt to any traveller arriving at Belfast City Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Hi Teresa thanks for the great review! We are very pleased you were happy with the service, I have passed your comments on to the staff on duty that day, if you require a car in the future please don't hesitate to contact us.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Yay!!! a happy customer

Edited: 21 March 2014, 06:44
London
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

As a business owner myself, I am only too aware that people tend to post reviews when they have something to whinge about.

They sometimes forget that good service and business practice also deserve a mention, hence my positive review.

A bit of praise and encouragement goes a long way. Don't you agree?

h f
Chalfont St Peter...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Will never book through this company again. We booked a Passat or similar and got an old Kia. We hired child seats but the staff would not fit them (we were told that if the staff fitted the car seat and the car seat came away in an accident that they would be liable. Eh - learn to fit the seat properly then). They said they had a room full of alternative child seats if we wanted to change either of them - but that room had no lightbulb and it was pitch dark. No water fountain in the office. Not a company I would ever use again. Stick to the better known car rental companies -you'll get newer cars, and the odd free upgrade, rather than old shabby cars and basic issues like no lighting.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sixt car hire Belfast

Hi there, thanks for getting in touch with the honest feedback.

Unfortunately from we can't fit the child seats we supply from a liability point of view as we aren't insured to fit them. It is the parents responsibility to fit the seats. I can confirm there is indeed a light in the room which the child seats are stored and I can only apologise obviously this was switched off or perhaps not working whilst you were present.

Regarding your suggest for a water fountain in the office that is an excellent idea! This will be something I will certainly look into.

If you would like any of your issues addressed further please don't hesitate to contact me via email customer.services@sixtni.co.uk

Edited: 09 May 2014, 00:00
Reply to: Sixt car hire Belfast
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted