We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July

Midleton, Ireland
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July

We are planning to travel to Northern Ireland from the Republic on 14th July and stay in Carricgfergus for a few nights. When booking I did think about the marches etc in 12th but since I have been warned that it may not be wise to stay in Carrigfergus and travel around Belfast with a southern registered car.

Is this true or what advice would locals give? I want to holiday with the family in the North but also naturally want it to be a positive experience.

Regards,

John

3 replies to this topic
County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July

I don't think any one can or would say that your safety is guaranteed. Belfast is full of Southern, Italian and French plates. The marches generally end up peacefully and without incident, they will be well over by the 14th.

I don't know who gave you the warning or what their expertise in this area is, but from my point of view they are totally wrong. There has been some trouble in Carrickfergus but it is linked to internal stuff between rival gangs.

Many people visit Belfast from the South, and many more travel North in hired cars from the South.

Come and enjoy the experience.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July

agreed loads of southern plated cars come here with no problems during the marching season no one bothers them so please dont worry you will be welcomed with open arms also I am not a fan of any of the parades we have in Northern Ireland but rather than avoid them go watch one they are something different to see people lining the routes will welcome you with open arms no one will care if you are from the Republic (many marches come from Donegal Orange lodges as well) anyways you will be safe during marching season so please dont worry i assure you its fine come enjoy welcome our southern cousins :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,728 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July

People come from all areas to see Belfast, just go and enjoy the city.

Reply to: Belfast / Carrigfergus on 14th July
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Belfast