We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real ale

Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Real ale

Second question, more interesting hopefully. Best real ale pubs in Cathedral Quarter?

Cheers

28 replies to this topic
County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Real ale

Not in the Quarter, but close by is the Woodworker. Some good options in there.

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
455 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Real ale

I'm not sure the Woodworkers have much in the way of real ale. The John Hewitt should have some cask options and you will find some real ale bottles in a good few bars but the real ale movement hasn't taken hold here properly yet. There are plenty of 'craft' options available but most of these will be served using gas so do not qualify as real ale.

CP

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Real ale

We don't really do Real Ale in NI, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it in the John Hewitt. The husbandry is poor and they seemed to have gone through a change in management and scaled down the beer range. Similarly Bittles does real ale but again, they don't keep their beer well.

To be fair to them, although I'm not a big fan, Wetherspoons do a good run in real ale, up Bedford Street ways and the famous Crown on Great Victoria Street as well.

The best spot is the Dirty Duck, but's that's in Holywood, just at the outer edges of Belfast in North Down

If you want decent independent keg beer (or what some might call 'craft'), the Green Room in the Black Box is the only really decent spot in the Cathedral Quarter, although the Dirty Onion stocked Beavertown last time I was in, which can't be bad in anyone's book.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Real ale

This is where you need Bridget Jones :)

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
217 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Real ale

Not happy with my take on it bgekk?! ;)

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Real ale

I forgot about the Dirty Onion, last time I was there the barmaid spent ages discussing all the ales and their merits.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Real ale

James ... your knowledge of the bar scene is to be applauded ... although anything bar or drink related was right up Bridgets street .... not my forte at all, hence my lack of input :)

Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Real ale

Cheers all. Had a couple of recommendations for good pubs if not ale. Don't mind Hophouse 13 if all else fails

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,946 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Real ale

Don't forget to let us know how you get on please.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
27,670 posts
538 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Real ale

Stick to Guinness. :)))

Reply to: Real ale
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted