We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash in Northern Ireland

Pleasant Prairie...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cash in Northern Ireland

We will be in Northern Ireland for a very short time and are trying to decide how much cash we may need. We will be leaving Donegal early one morning and heading to Belfast for the night. We would like to stop up at Giant's Causeway and/or the rope bridge if that's not too ambitious of a day. We will have the majority of the second day to spend in Belfast before heading to Dublin to catch our flight the next morning. Do you think most places in the areas mentioned will accept credit cards? Is an ATM the best location to get cash? I've read there are different types of pounds, but I imagine if we get cash from an ATM we will be ok to use what we got.

We're not sure what we'll be doing yet in Belfast, probably either a Black Taxi Tour or HOHO and the Titanic dockyard and museum. Do most pubs/Restaurants accept credit cards in Belfast? I want to minimize the trips to the ATM if possible.

Thank you for your help!

18 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

I agree with #10. You'd have a hard time exchanging NI notes at home. My. Rother stupidly took several thousands

Dos of pounds in Scottish notes when he moved to the US. No bank would accept them. One eventually agreed to send them for collection which took weeks and had higher charges than converting Bank of England notes would have.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
402 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

just about to say the same thing make sure its only Bank of England banknotes you have leaving and Not NI ones below is some vision aids to help you identify the BOE (bank of england )

notes from their northern irish counterparts

Northern Irish notes

…alamy.com/comp/B5JMDH/pile-20-pounds-sterli…

…alamy.com/zooms/d635042701984b32b711a2f0a5a…

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
15,705 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

@quitelifeni post 12

Many thanks for the links of images of monies.

Kesh_grammy

Pleasant Prairie...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

Ok, thanks, good to know about the difficulty of converting non Bank of England notes. Thank you also for the links to the images Quietlifeni!

Thank you again to everyone for your help!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

HI,

"Heading to Dublin to catch our flight the next morning"

Dublin is in the Republic of Ireland and uses the Euro rather than Sterling.

You might need to get some euros to get you through your time there.

Bob

Edited: 27 June 2017, 17:20
Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

As Bob suggests - if you are driving to Dublin from Belfast you'll need EURO 1.90 for the motorway toll. There are cashiers, so you can get change of larger notes, but they do NOT accept pounds sterling or cards; only Euros.

Comber, United...
Level Contributor
455 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

They do actually accept sterling (on a 1:1 basis). I discovered this one day when I rocked up without any Euro. That said; a queue of cars was starting to form so maybe the cashier just needed to get things moving and accepted whatever I had - I haven't tried the "I have absolutely no cash in any currency" line to see what would happen.

It is ridiculous that they are unable to accept card. Very unhelpful for a large number of people I would imagine, not just those coming from the dreaded north.

CP

Pleasant Prairie...
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Cash in Northern Ireland

Thank you Travelbob and Stoutboy! The heads up about that toll is good to know.

We are actually starting our trip in the Republic of Ireland before heading up to Northern Ireland and will be sure to have some euros left for our last night back in Dublin. I head back to the states but my husband is actually heading to Germany for work, so having left over euros is not a problem because he'll need to have some on hand.

Reply to: Cash in Northern Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted