We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

California
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

At the end of our already-planned vacation itinerary, we have a few days that we hope to rent a car and experience just a taste of other areas.

Noon 6.30 leave Heathrow and drive to Avebury. Add in Wells or Bath. Spend night perhaps Cardiff or Newport area (?)

7.1 (my birthday :)) visit a castle, St Fagen's, and maybe somewhere else. Drive towards Cotswolds. Spend night somewhere in the area but not sure where yet.

7.2 Visit area. (Not sure whether to drive to Stratford area or not. I have been before but not my husband.)

Drive back late and stay near Heathrow airport.

7.3 Turn in rental. Fly back to California at noon.

Suggestions welcome...stops, attractions, iternary, towns/places to spend night, etc.

Note: my husband has never been to this area. I have not been to Cardiff area, Avebury, or Wells.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,936 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

Have you done a rule of thumb on times - so 30th June, London to Avebury to Wells to Cardiff is getting for 5 hours driving time plus apparently two visits to significant places, with a Noon start you would do well to get to your hotel by 9pm. If you substituted Bath for Wells you might be even later as there is so much to see.

How about a shorter route

Day 1 Heathrow-Avebury-Bath.

Day 2 - leave Bath Midday drive north to Ludlow, visit my favourite castle nearby at Stokesay english-heritage.org.uk/visit/…

day 3 - Ludlow to SonA, picking up this route in between, cotswolds.info/romantic-roads/broadway-to-br…

Day 4 SonA- Oxford - London.....

Edited: 13 May 2018, 01:52
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,936 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

I might have got too many days there? That - to us - strange inverted US dating method has confused me 🤭

Out of that : then delete SonA and drive Ludlow to London via the linked Cotswolds route

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
71,263 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

The first day, presumably 30th June, is too full no matter how you look at it. I think you have time for one decent stop on the way between LHR and Cardiff, as I think I could easily spend half a day in either Avebury or Wells.

I quite like PMQ's suggestion even though it leaves out Wales :-)

California
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

I had not thought of some of those places. Thanks for the suggestions!

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,519 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

I thought they were times but yes, they are dates the wrong way, I mean the American way, around.

I also think that you are trying to fit in too much.

I would just stick to Bath and the surrounding area, along with Avebury.

But you have asked the same question on half a dozen different forums so you are bound to get lots of different answers!

California
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

I had not thought of some of those places. Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes, I did ask the question on several forums because I saw that some areas did not have a lot of posts. I had hoped to finalize plans this weekend and book accommodations.

Thanks for the suggestions. Truly appreciated.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?

Hi,

You have picked a few of my favourite places there :)

I agree with the other’s about swapping Avebury to Bath and as long as you don’t mind a full on couple of days you could fit it all in.

My recommendation would be to go straight to Bath from Heathrow spend the whole day there before driving over to Cardiff early evening (will take just over an hour)

Spend the morning in St Fagons (wonderful place, eat at their cafe or take a picnic) before checking out a castle in the afternoon, lots to choose from but Caerphilly is the largest in Wales and is just a 20 minute drive away. Spend that night in Cardiff

Early start - drive to Stow on the Wold in the Cotswolds (1 1/2hrs from Cardiff) after lunch drive via Oxford (which will take you through the Cotswolds) to Heathrow.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 03:14
Reply to: Is this short itinerary doable 6.30-7.3.Recommendations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cardiff
Recent Conversations