We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
183 reviews
Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

I'm coming to Cardiff on the train on Sunday to meet my daughter who's driving down to meet me from mid-Wales.

Please can someone advise me whether it will be cheaper for her to park at Central or Queen Street Station and which one it would make more sense to start from? We are planning to do a bit of shopping (not designer!), and I'm sure there'll be some eating and drinking but this isn't a site-seeing trip.

Any advice much appreciated

Passion
Gift & Speciality Shops
Oblong Gift Shop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Pugh's Garden Village
Gift & Speciality Shops
8 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

If it's this Sunday then (a) I wouldn't park at any station and (b) I'm not sure you could pick a worse day to try to drive into central Cardiff.

First you have this - https:/…car-free-cardiff-2018-more-14429545

Then you have this: https://www.letsride.co.uk/events/cardiff

And then you have this - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football…

If I was her, I'd probably try to park at Sophia Gardens and walk from there (that seems like it would be outside the zone described and is the right way for coming from the North).

You will arrive at Cardiff Central. Queen Street station doesn't come into it.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 08:12
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,368 posts
64 reviews
2. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

Actually, given that the bus parade will be hitting the castle late afternoon, I'd also consider avoiding getting that close to the city centre before parking up at all.

Wales
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

If I were her, I think I'd drive to a station on the outskirts of Cardiff and come in to the city centre by train.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 16:33
Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

As Cymraesun has said, I would suggest that your daughter parks at a station on the edge of Cardiff and get the train to Cardiff Central to meet you. I would suggest either Taffs Well or Radyr stations, both of which have car parking and both are fairly close to the route I assume she will be using to drive in (the A470). I am not sure whether or not these station car parks charge to park there these days but I expect if they do it will be considerably cheaper than parking in the city centre.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 17:18
Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
183 reviews
5. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

Oh no, nightmare all round - the only good thing is that I posted late last night as an afterthought and you all stepped up to advise! It's my daughters birthday and she only gets one day off a week so we don't have a lot of choice really but at least I won't arrive to have frantic phone messages from her - she's never driven to Cardiff before so it was never going to be easy without all the additional issues.

Could I ask a little more please as I'm now in panic mode and she has no idea!

She's coming from Llanwrtyd Wells via Merthyr Tydfil on the A470. Do any of the valley trains come into Central from that direction? If the answers yes, or if they come in somewhere to the north of Cardiff but somewhere she can park without strife, I'd be grateful for your thoughts.

If I need to start another forum post just say

Thank you all!

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

Yes the Valley lines train run from Merthyr Tydfil right to Cardiff Central. The journey from Merthyr to Cardiff by train is twice as long as driving, however, with many stops. As per my earlier post, I recommend she head either for Taffs Well station or Radyr Station (Radyr has the bigger parking space). Both are pretty much on the edge of Cardiff and a short train ride of around 15 minutes to Cardiff Central. They are relatively easy to find as they are a short drive from the A470 and will not entail "town traffic". However, I would recommend she checks via an online map for their locations. For both stations she will need to exit the A470 on the signs for "Tongwynlais / Radyr". If heading for Taffs Well she will essentially need to go right round the roundabout and take the last (third) exit. If heading for Radyr she needs to take the right (second) exit. Here is the map of the area: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Radyr/@51.5252422,-3.2754325,13.75z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x486e1bab4b2949e5:0xf747d480f2ee126e!8m2!3d51.5163167!4d-3.2488566

Here is the info for Taffs Well: nationalrail.co.uk/stations/TAF/details.html

Here is the info for Radyr: nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/RDR…

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
687 posts
183 reviews
7. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

Hi Jim

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly - having a bit of a wobble this end to put it mildly! My husband was going to drive down the M4 to meet us later for a meal later in the afternoon - that has now been cancelled.

The above is so helpful and is very clear - I'd have been tempted to get her to park up at Merthyr and let the train take the strain but think Radyr seems a much better bet. Appreciate the detailed route tips/map - I know she relies on Satnav but I've been lead up the garden path way too many times, so I'll pass this on to her as well for back up.

Thanks again and all she has to do now is work out how to work the ticket machine on the platform (I'll await the panic phone call!)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
72,909 posts
476 reviews
8. Re: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?

There are not frequent trains from Merthyr Tydfil on Sundays. i believe they are two hourly, as opposed to being every 30 mins on weekdays. I think that's another good reason for choosing Radyr or Taffs Well.

Reply to: Cheapest parking near Cardiff Central or Queen St station?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted