We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and tent camping near Snowdonia

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and tent camping near Snowdonia

Hi - I was looking to bring a group of 6 out to hike Snowdon and then find a campsite to pitch a tent somewhere nearby. I am taking some new folks to the outdoors who are keen to try, so an outhouse and running water close are a plus. Any recommendations?

Mentioned in this post
Snowdon
Snowdon
2,102 Reviews
Snowdonia National Park, UK
1 reply
Gwynedd, United...
Level Contributor
247 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and tent camping near Snowdonia

A few to get you started, all are on bus routes.

On my doorstep is the Fricsan, Cwm Y Glo. Bunkhouse and camping field, with utilities. No pub any more, but an excellent kebab hut nearby... About 2 miles flat walk to Llanberis away from traffic, or #88 buses roughly every half hour. River swimming for the brave. Very small petrol-station shop for the essentials within 1/4 mile, and a bakery. About 1.5 miles to Llanrug with 2 pubs, a good butcher and a Co-op.

Rhyd Ddu campsite is (was?) run by the the Cwellyn Arms pub nearby. Both pub and campsite have always busy when I've been past. Very handy for the Rhyd Ddu path up Snowdon.

Snowdonia Park in Waunfawr has campsite immediately adjacent to the pub. No mountain path nearby, it's about two miles to the start of the Snowdon Ranger path.

There's also a variety of campsites in Nant Peris..

Mentioned in this post
Llanberis
Llanberis
Cwellyn Arms
Cwellyn Arms
331 Reviews
Rhydd Ddu, UK
Snowdon
Snowdon
2,102 Reviews