We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north wales in march

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
north wales in march

Hi there,

My mother is visiting from the States the last week of March/first week of April, and would like to visit North Wales. Planning getting a self-catering cottage somewhere on a beach for the last week of March, as this is before half-term (but if you tell me that half-term isn't heinously busy, I'd actually prefer the first week of April instead.) She's interested in walking and castles; not so much about museums and such.

Two questions: I know the weather is unpredictable, but am I crazy to want to stay on the beach?

And for nice long beach walks, without crowds, what area might be best? (Looking for something along the lines of the Southwest Coastal Path in Cornwall, which we loved.)

Thanks!

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north wales in march

The weather predominantly comes from the south-west. So if you can find a beach that is sheltered from this direction then you will be ok.

There is a coast path from Bangor to Prestatyn but this whole area is fairly well developed. The coastal path around the Llyn Peninsula might be a better option:

http://walkingnorthwales.co.uk/home.php?/walk_details;id=1027

In that case a good place to stay might be Morfa Nefyn or Abersoch.

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north wales in march

The weather in Wales is never predictable so just take plenty of layers and waterproofs. Good Friday next year is April 6th and that is when the Easter holidays in my part of South Wales start and probably the rest of Wales. To be honest, I don't think its would be so busy as to spoil your enjoyment, it's just that prices may go up compared with the previous week. The other thing is thta things start to open around Easter time if you want to see something specific. With regard to self catering on a beach I have two suggestions for you. Have you looked at Portmeirion? it has a lovely hotel and holiday cottages too. it's a beautiful Italianate village in a lovely area. The beach is stunning. My other suggestion is Nant Gwrtheyrn. I'm not good at links but type in Nant Gwrtheyrn, Llithfaen and you;ll find it. It's main function is as a Welsh language centre but I think you can rent the cottages as individuals, they are old cottages which have been refurbished to a very good standard. May not be what you want but the area is lovely.

In answer to your question about being mad to stay on a beach in March in North Wales- no you're not, as long as the accommodation has heating then walks on wintry beaches are wonderful! Harlech is another lovely place with a castle. Don't just visit the Norman castles though, check out those of the Welsh princes!

Enjoy

KB

]

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: north wales in march

Oh, excellent, thank you both! I especially appreciate the advice about the weather direction (I thought I was the only one who thinks of those things!) and the suggestion of Nant Gwrtheyrn - I will look that one up right away.

Very happy to have a direction in which to proceed! Thanks!

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north wales in march

"they are old cottages which have been refurbished to a very good standard."

I used to visit this area when I was a child ( we're talking about 30 years ago). The village was an old mining village then that had been abandoned. We used to love exploring the old cottages, school etc that had all fallen into ruin. When we first revisited the area back in the early 90s, I was really disappointed to find the village had been refurbished and turned into the language school! It looks great though!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north wales in march

I've found a couple of cottages I like near Harlech...but that's on the southwest side, from whence the weather arrives. Also...I'm assuming that Anglesey is going to be colder than the mainland?

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,782 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: north wales in march

Even though you will be directly in the line of fire from south-westerly weather, it could equally come from any other direction. And even if you were on the sheltered side the rain would still get you.

If you are quite far inland then that might make a large difference to temperature (Capel Curig is cold place, for example). Here are links to the Met Office's weather stations if you are interested:

Valley (Anglesey):

metoffice.gov.uk/climate/…valley.html

Trawscoed (Cardigan Bay):

metoffice.gov.uk/climate/…trawscoed.html

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: north wales in march

I dont think Anglesey is colder than the mainland, the sea is often warmer than the land here in Winter, the further you are from the sea, the colder it is.

If you think about it, however bad it is in the hills, the sea never freezes.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: north wales in march

Harlech is a lovely area and I think maybe quite sheltered if you get cold northerlies (by the Lleyn)?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
190 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: north wales in march

Very interesting! I looked at the "average max temp" map, which is color-coded, and looks like Anglesey might actually be the warmest (not warm, just *warmer*.)

We spent a week in Cornwall this past June and, while most days were pleasant, we spent a couple of days looking out at the sea from our cottage window. I'm hoping to find a place like that, where even if the weather is nasty we can still have a view, and don't mind so much being stuck inside...

Next question: is the far side of Anglesey too far out of the way to do the touristy bits (Caernafon etc)?

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: north wales in march

Personally I wouldn't want to stay on the far side of Anglesey if you want to be visiting / walking in the mountains of Snowdonia. It would take you an hour or so to get to the central (Snowdon) area. Having said that, you would have the same issue if you stayed in the Harleck area. I think the best area to base yourself yould be just to the west of Caernarfon, along the Lleyn, or around Porthmadog. From these locations who reach the main areas of tourist interest easily (the Lleyn Peninsula, Snowdon and surrounding mountains, the castles of North Wales, Angelsey...).

Get answers to your questions about North Wales