We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

Cumberland, Rhode...
5 posts
Save Topic
Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

Hello! My husband and two of our kids (9 and 12) are making our first ever trip to the UK and Wales. We are planning on three nights in the Snowdonia region but I am have a very hard time narrowing down what area to stay in. We would love to go exploring, hiking etc and see some of those breathtaking areas I keep seeing photos of but we are MOST definitely not experienced hikers. We also want to do a day by the sea as well. And then a third day exploring wherever. I know I don't want to be as far east as Bala to keep the trip to the sea shorter. But I also don't know where the best and prettiest walks for us to explore would be. From what I have seen, however, there don't seem to be many NOT pretty places :) I have several homes saved on AirBnb... Would it be better to be further south like Machynlleth or more central like Barmouth or perhaps further north near Llanrhychwyn and then go to the shore north instead of west? I know there are so very many answers for this so I would greatly appreciate any guidance.

Mentioned in this post
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Bala
Bala
Snowdonia National Park, UK
Machynlleth
Machynlleth
Powys, UK
Barmouth
Barmouth
Gwynedd, UK
4 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

OK - assuming you are here is summertime, and your day by the sea is on the beach, Anglesey, the Lleyn Peninsula and the coast round to Harlech are good for that. The beaches are also good at Barmouth and the southern areas of the National Park, and it is lovely and quiet there too. If its an important part of the trip, then have a place near the beach. You might have to dash there when the sun comes out, or get there before the crowds in the morning.

For the 'breathtaking' areas, well, it is all beautiful, of course, but the most spectacular scenery is around Snowdon itself - and that is also why it is more crowded.

For your easy hiking, have a look at the nature reserves - there are websites that explain about them and give directions for parking. They almost always have a good, easy walk in them. There are good walks round the lower mountains, and in woods and by rivers - but so many, its impossible to advise till you know where you will be.

You have not mentioned the history - castles etc, but your day exploring (and it might rain) will possibly mean a trip to one of Conwy, Beaumaris, Caernarfon or Harlech.

All this leads me to say keep it west. Have a look at Criccieth or at Caernarfon. There are beaches at Black Rock Sands (Morfa Bychan), for Criccieth, and at Dinas Dinlle for Caernarfon. (At Criccieth the beach is not really for swimming, but nice to mess about on when you are that age.) You can get up to Snowdon from both these very easily, and you will find things to explore nearby. Other people will say other places, and they are just as right as me, but those are my thoughts today.

Mentioned in this post
Harlech
Harlech
Barmouth
Barmouth
Gwynedd, UK
Snowdon
Snowdon
2,102 Reviews
Conwy
Conwy
Conwy County, UK
Beaumaris
Beaumaris
Island of Anglesey, UK
Caernarfon
Caernarfon
Gwynedd, UK
Criccieth
Criccieth
Gwynedd, UK
Black Rock Sands
Black Rock Sands
617 Reviews
Porthmadog, UK
Morfa Bychan
Morfa Bychan
Porthmadog, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
5,172 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

Look up

SurfSnowdonia

Bounce below

The electric mountain

These could be good activities for your children

Some great suggestions already

I am assuming you will have a car

In that case please consider Anglesey

Some great beaches from rocky coves and cliff top walks near Trearddur Bay which offers the chance to visit South Stack lighthouse

And the castle at Beaumaris a lovely spot as is Benllech with its wife sandy beach , a contrast to the opppsite side of the Anglesey

Anglesey is magical and you can still get to Snowdon and Conwy in an hour or so

The North coast and Anglesey have much to offer

Google Conwy and Llandudno

Wherever you decide to stay there is nowhere quite like Wales

Croeso and enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Island of Anglesey
Island of Anglesey
North Wales, UK
Trearddur Bay
Trearddur Bay
Island of Anglesey, UK
South Stack Lighthouse
South Stack Lighthouse
961 Reviews
Island of Anglesey, UK
Beaumaris
Beaumaris
Island of Anglesey, UK
Benllech
Benllech
Island of Anglesey, UK
Snowdon
Snowdon
2,102 Reviews
Conwy
Conwy
Conwy County, UK
Llandudno
Llandudno
Conwy County, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Croeso Lounge
Croeso Lounge
351 Reviews
Mumbles, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
555 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

I mean, at Criccieth itself the beach is not really best for swimming - the beach at Black Rock Sands is a swimming beach

Mentioned in this post
Criccieth
Criccieth
Gwynedd, UK
Black Rock Sands
Black Rock Sands
617 Reviews
Porthmadog, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?

Your "exploring wherever" could certainly include Caernarfon or Conwy, both of which have spectacular castles (Criccieth has a smaller castle too). I think Conwy is the nicer town but Caernarfon has some attractive parts too and is closer to Snowdon and Anglesey.

Even if you're not experienced hikers, you could park in Llanberis and walk up Snowdon - it's an easy path and difficult to get lost - just follow everyone else! Do take layers, raincoats and some food though - it's still a mountain, with the chance of changeable weather. If you're really unsure, you can take the train to the top, have tea in the café and walk back down ☺

Mentioned in this post
Caernarfon
Caernarfon
Gwynedd, UK
Conwy
Conwy
Conwy County, UK
Criccieth
Criccieth
Gwynedd, UK
Snowdon
Snowdon
2,102 Reviews
Island of Anglesey
Island of Anglesey
North Wales, UK
Llanberis
Llanberis
Reply to: Advice for family trip to Snowdonia area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted