We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Hi,

We have booked a few nights in Worcester Whitehouse Hotel in September . (Much to sons horror, he's moving into a new flat a few doors down from the hotel for his 2nd uni year )

Can anyone recommend places within short walking distance for a decent evening bar meal , with a good atmosphere and which also serves good ales ? Hubby loves a good pint of real ale.

Had a quick walk around whilst in Worcester last week and spotted the following pubs which looked ok from the outside.....

The Postal Order

The King Charles

The Cricketers

The Crown (Lloyds No 1)

Ye Olde Talbot

Would you recommend/advise against any of the above, and are there any other good places around that area to try?

Thanks

16 replies to this topic
Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Your only 5 minutes walk from the city centre so plenty of options. The fire fly is well known for its craft beer. Also the king Charles pub is a good option for both ales and the best pie and mash in the county.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

The postal order and crown are both weatherspoon chain pubs so lack atmosphere etc. Another option is the plough which has one awards in the past for their ale a selection

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

The postal order and crown are both weatherspoon chain pubs so lack atmosphere etc. Another option is the plough which has one awards in the past for their ale a selection

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Cardinal's Hat worth a visit. For the beer, also pop in to the Hand in Glove. No food, but best beer in town in my opinion.

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Thanks. Just found the Firefly and Plough on streetview (Noticed the sign outside the Plough mentions Malt Whiskies as well,,,,another favourite of hubbys!) We are down there tomorrow morning so will suss them out and have a quick look in :-)

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Thanks Simon,

I spotted The Cardinals Hat from outside and made a note of it whilst waiting to pick son up a few weeks ago. Certainly looks like we will be spending some time in there (And got some interesting snacks on the menu )

It's a wonder I haven't noticed The Hand in Glove whilst waiting at the traffic lights on my way back home.

Thanks to you both for helpful replies . Looks like a good few days and nights to come ;-)

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

A new tip. The firefly is absolutely awesome and a recent discovery of mine. It has a huge selection of special ales as well as lagers from all over the world. It also serves superb food and the decor ambiance is top notch. I can't recommend this place highly enougj

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
42 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

A new tip. The firefly is absolutely awesome and a recent discovery of mine. It has a huge selection of special ales as well as lagers from all over the world. It also serves superb food and the decor ambiance is top notch. I can't recommend this place highly enougj

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

Thanks,I will go with your recommendation and give that one a try then :-)

(Spotted it from across the road the other week but thought it didn't look like much from the outside so didn't bother having a peep in at the time, but looking at the website it looks nice inside. )

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
770 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals

If you walk a bit further down past Ye Olde Talbot you'll reach The Kings Head on Sidbury which I think would tick all the boxes.

Reply to: Worcester City Centre pubs with good ale and bar meals
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Worcester
Recent Conversations