We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canal boat trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
canal boat trip

I'm considering taking a week-long canal boat trip that begins in Worcester. I find that the information on the website to be ambiguous. I understand that we will drive the boat, but I'm unclear about stopping along the way. Can anyone give me some insights into the trip?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: canal boat trip

You say spring of 2016 - can you define that more? Essentially it's a summer activity in the UK, there can be stoppages - which means canals closed for repair - before Easter, but canals are generally pretty much open from Easter till the end of October.

This should be a good website to help you decide - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/. It's got a good map. There are plenty of options from Worcester - a very simple trip is the river, down to Tewkesbury, up to Stourport. The locks are all worked for you on this section - but it is a big river and flood conditions make it unsuitable. There's some very serious rings, which are trips where you follow a ring and dont have to turn round and come back the same way, a new ring available takes you through Droitwich without too many locks. Any other ring though will take you either up Tardebigge - 30 locks in one flight or Stratford - again loads of locks.

What size crew do you have? It's very different working a narrow with 2 people to working one with 6. Or are you alone - in which case I would suggest you look at a hotel boat - a narrowboat pair - two boats - which will allow you to help work the locks.

Have a great trip.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,130 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: canal boat trip

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at mid-April for a possible narrow boat journey with two or maybe three adults on board.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
4,028 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: canal boat trip

Three is very different from two.- one steering, two working the locks. With only two the one doing the locks is constantly walking backwards and forwards from one lock gate to another.

If there are on,y two of you think very carefully about doing a route with a lot of locks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: canal boat trip

Hi I am watching this post with interest as we have booked the Worcester marina start through RCI for September 2016. The staff at the Marina were very helpful when I contacted them directly about the trip and whether suitable for newcomers to barging who are close to 60. They could even tell me which vessel it would be so I could look up the layout. As you are going before us will be very interested in what you found and what loops you did

15. Re: canal boat trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2017, 23:17
Get answers to your questions about Worcester
Recent Conversations