We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

canal boat trip

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
canal boat trip

I'm considering taking a week-long canal boat trip that begins in Worcester. I find that the information on the website to be ambiguous. I understand that we will drive the boat, but I'm unclear about stopping along the way. Can anyone give me some insights into the trip?

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: canal boat trip

You may moo anywhere on the towpath side of he canal unless there is a sign telling you otherwise. The boat will be provided with mooring pins ( stakes) and a mallet and you drive the moorin pins into the grass verge. Sometimes there are rings on which you can tie up.

Is there a particular reason for starting at Worcesterz. It is a lovely city but if you are canal novices the routes available from there are not the easiest. There are a lot of locks which you must work yourselves . Or you can go on the river Severn but the banks make mooring difficult and there is not a lot to see

Edited: 11 November 2014, 19:44
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: canal boat trip

I agree, why Worcester? Nothing against it but it seems a bit arbitrary, is it just where you stumbled across a canal website? There are many other possible start points.

You might be better off with a dedicated canal forum rather than here. If you google, there are a couple at least.

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: canal boat trip

Apologies for my typos....too small a keyboard on iPad! I meant of course moor not moo, mooring not moorin and Worcesterz should read Worcester?

Edited: 11 November 2014, 20:34
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: canal boat trip

Thanks for the insights. Worcester was the place that I began my investigation because that was the first place where I learned about boating on Britain's canals. I'm doing some very long-term planning, as the trip won't take place until the spring of 2016.

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: canal boat trip

Very amused by mooing on the towpath. We can always rely on chesterbuff! I use old age as an excuse for my typoos!

I would certainly agree with the others that Worcester is far from ideal as a starting point for a beginner. Somewhere on a narrow canal would be ideal. Norther Trent and Mersey for example, or Shropshire Union. If you must start from Worcester, head for Stourport and the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. Quite a few locks but easy operation, plenty of canalside pubs.

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
Shropshire
Shropshire
England, UK
Staffordshire
Staffordshire
England, UK
Worcestershire
Worcestershire
England, UK
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: canal boat trip

I did a short week on the Oxford canal a couple of months ago. easy to reach from London should you be in the vicinity.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: canal boat trip

I confess that what originally stimulated my interest in taking a canal boat trip was availability through RCI. Worcester was the first thing I saw. Then I noticed Market Harborough as a departure point. Got any insights into this port?

Mentioned in this post
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
Market Harborough
Market Harborough
Leicestershire, UK
middle england
Destination Expert
for Leicestershire, Norfolk
Level Contributor
3,625 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: canal boat trip

Market Harborough is a quite reasonable starting point for newcomers to british waterways, although not ideal. It easy relatively easy to reach as MH has a station with a good service from London, although the station is a fair way from the canal basin. The first 5 miles or so are very easy as it's a broad canal with no locks. At the junction at Foxton you have as choice. Southwards where you are faced immediately with the famous Foxton flight of ten locks. These are narrow locks and easy to work once you've got the hang of the procedure. There's (unusually) a lock keeper on hand to assist and there's a passing point in the middle of the flight. Usually plenty of onlookers (gongoozelers) to observe your progress. Once through the flight there is 22 miles of lock free and relatively quiet canal to enjoy, although you'll have to be fond of tunnels because there are two, Husbands Bosworth and Crick before reaching a flight of 7 narrow locks at Watford (Northamptonshire) from whence the Leicester arm joins the main line of the Grand Union canl, a broad canal with quite heavy locks.

Northwards from Foxton takes you towards Leicester with broad locks and a tunnel at Saddington.

My own preference would be Worcester and the Staffs and Worcs canal, largely because I'm not fond of tunnels!!

Edited: 13 November 2014, 02:36
Mentioned in this post
Market Harborough
Market Harborough
Leicestershire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Watford
Watford
Hertfordshire, UK
Leicester
Leicester
Leicestershire, UK
Worcester
Worcester
Worcestershire, UK
UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,972 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: canal boat trip

It would seem that RCI is a timeshare company linked to Canaltime. The OP therefore would be limited to hiring from Canaltime bases or a couple of other related companies.

Backpackernomore....a word of warning.the photos on the RCI website are not of a Canaltime boat as these do not have any front doors and windows or a front deck. This to me would be a serious disadvantage and you may wish to check on design and layout before you commit to a particular boat. Not being able to see where you are going from inside the boat would be very strange as far as I am concerned

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: canal boat trip

Thanks for the tips. I'm really getting an education about narrow boats and canal travel. I still can't get a clear idea of what's what, but things are getting more and more into focus. I've begun to check out canal boat websites and online forums. I guess that I'll need to devote some attention to this research.

The initial appeal of the RCI boats was price. I've got plenty of points right now, so it would only cost the booking fee. However, if the resulting experience bites it, I would be penny wise and...

Get answers to your questions about Worcester
Recent Conversations
;