We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick visit/lunch

West Midlands
Level Contributor
130 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Quick visit/lunch

Hi. We are collecting USA relatives from Heathrow around 11.30 next week. We are hoping to visit Windsor briefly, mainly to have some lunch, but also to see a little of the town n our way to Staffordshire.

There will be 4 adults and 3 children (age 9-14).

Where do you recommend for parking, lunch and visit? Nothing too expensive please as we already have a lot planned. Wondered about the short boat trip if it’s fine?

Thanks.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,680 Reviews
from USD 122.50*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,252 Reviews
from USD 125.10*
Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, and...
1,113 Reviews
from USD 78.50*
4 replies to this topic
Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Amesbury, London, Windsor
Level Contributor
7,997 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick visit/lunch

Hi,

I know some people don't like it, but I tend to park in the King Edward Court car park as it's convenient to everywhere. (The River Street car park is also convenient, but you'll need to sell one of your children to pay for it). Cheaper parking by Alexandra Gardens, but then you walk a bit further, or similarly down the castle opposite Windsor Riverside station, Edward VII car park.

Far too many places to eat at to list. But you 've got everything from McDonald's to Coffee shops, to the chains (eg Bill's / Cafe Rouge / Gourmet Burger). Ethnic / fast food / slow food .... Have a look and see what you fancy once you're there. For what it's worth, I tend to gravitate towards The Drury House (in the cobblestone section opposite the castle gate) or Cafe Rouge down towards the station. Oh, latterly I've taken to having a Halloumi and Chicken wrap from one of the street vendors down Peascod St. That's not a bad option actually - several street traders where you can just grab something and go.

Hotel Chocolat is nearly always on my to-do list (Queen Vic points the way down Peascod St).

If you want to visit the castle, allow a good 2 hours, and get your tickets printed off on-line before you go.

River trip is fine (40 mins); nothing earth-shattering, but pleasant. Or there's the amphibious Duck tour the children may prefer.

Have fun!

West Midlands
Level Contributor
130 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick visit/lunch

Thanks do much for such a detailed reply! Will certainly follow your advice.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,805 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick visit/lunch

If your relatives land at 11:30 am, in all likelihood you won't reach Windsor until 1:00 or 1:30. By the time you park and eat, it will likely be nearing 3:00.

An 11:30 am arrival means that even from the East Coast, that is going to be a red eye flight. And you have kids in the group.

I would lower your expectations in terms of everyone's stamina.

Fill up a young person's stomach, and put them on a boat in the sun, and I think they will be falling asleep after an all night flight.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
130 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick visit/lunch

Yes, we thought they will be tired. Hopefully will fall asleep on way back home!

That is why I thought they would need to eat then perhaps something sedate 🤣

Reply to: Quick visit/lunch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Windsor