We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath on a rainy Good Friday

delhi
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Hi.Was planning to go to bath(4 adults,one with a knee problem unable to walk long distances)) from cirencester this good friday.The weather is all rainy but the only holidays we have.Would like to know where to park to avoid traffic,save time.And what should we see in Bath considering weather and that we need to return the same day to cirencester.

7 replies to this topic
Pewsey, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,701 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Use the Park and ride so you can get a bus right to the heart of the city and not have drive round looking for a spot close by , coming from the north use the Lansdown P&R bathnes.gov.uk/services/…park-and-ride

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,717 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

I'm not sure what to suggest about parking, given that one of you probably won't fancy walking far. (and you don't mention a Blue Badge). Ordinarily I would suggest the Lansdown Park and Ride, but it might be easier to park in the centre of town in this instance. Also there is a family race day gaining on at the racecourse nearby (gates open at 11am, last race 17:05pm) so best to avoid the area at the start and end because of the traffic.

Since it is a Bank Holiday visitors can park in residents' parking bays on the street and the car parks shouldn't be as busy.

"How to save time?"

Avoid driving in on London Road off the A46. Either come in on the Park and Ride bus or pay 60p(definitely under £1) and use the toll bridge at Batheaston (so you turn left as you come off the A46 at the roundabout for Bath).

A lot of visitor attractions are fairly accessible and will have details of how easy they are to navigate published online.

What to see really depends on your interests. Get some ideas on here https://visitbath.co.uk/things-to-do/

Somewhere like the Holburne Museum is a free Art Gallery (with lifts and parking and cafe alongside Sydney Gardens and a pretty stretch of the canal through the middle).

Obvious places to consider visiting include the Roman Baths, Number 1 Royal Crescent (have lifts) and perhaps the Assembly Rooms or Pump Room for a coffee.

Outside of Bath you could go to Durham (National Trust - has a shuttle bus down the hill) or maybe the American Museum (they are running a WW1 event on Friday I see.

I hope the wether isn't too wet for you.

Mentioned in this post
The Lansdown
The Lansdown
173 Reviews
Bristol, UK
London
London
England, UK
Batheaston
Batheaston
Bath, UK
Holburne Museum
Holburne Museum
1,024 Reviews
Bath, UK
Sydney Gardens
Sydney Gardens
113 Reviews
Bath, UK
The Roman Baths
The Roman Baths
19,071 Reviews
Bath, UK
Royal Crescent
Royal Crescent
3,326 Reviews
Bath, UK
The Pump Room Restaurant
The Pump Room Restaurant
2,479 Reviews
Bath, UK
Durham
Durham
Durham, UK
American Museum
American Museum
601 Reviews
Bath, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
33,561 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Don't bank on it' being rainy.

Predicting further than 36hrs ahead is a guessing game. It may be lovely. Keep an eye on the weather changing maybe.

The wind over the Atlantic only has to change direction slightly, speed up or slow down and the rain won't hit Bath and the ridge of high pressure from Spain will :-)

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
delhi
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Thank you for those useful tips

@Toopaz.Its BBC weather(should I trust)..

England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,561 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Ah in this country who can tell.....

BBC changed their supplier of the forcast.

I follow our government one The Meterological Office. They update the maps and forcast every hour and have the technical maps updated too which show the weather systems coming towards us. I've found them mostly accurate to within an hour but only for the one day ahead. That's what happens when you live on an island.

https:/…

You can move the pointer on this to show the predicted movement of the weather. It is only predicted and can change - we hope.

https://tinyurl.com/y9tn2b76

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,275 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

When I checked this morning there was rain forecast where I live for later in the afternoon.

We didn't get a single drop!

I find AccuWeather to be reliable, but as they proved today they were wrong!

The good thing about Bath is that if you do get caught out in the rain then there are plenty of cafes and shops to dive into to keep dry, unless you are in the middle of Victoria Park where the Royal Crescent is, in which case you just shelter under a tree.

https:/…

P.S. if you click on that link tomorrow the forecast will be different to what it is now, and if you check again on Friday morning it will have changed again!

Edited: 29 March 2018, 07:09
Mentioned in this post
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
The Royal Crescent Hotel...
1,015 Reviews
Bath, UK
England, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,561 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bath on a rainy Good Friday

Indeed. I've just checked back and tomorrow is only to be light showers and not the rain forcaste.

Friday still looks like there might be rain (hopefully that too will change) but it's not until the afternoon. Do the outdoors in the morning and in the museums and tea in the afternoon.

Reply to: Bath on a rainy Good Friday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath