We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

charleston, sc
Level Contributor
57 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

I am going to have a rental car while in Stratford-upon-Avon, due to some business meetings I am attending. We are planning on going to Bath for 1 night. Should I drive from Stratford-upon-Avon to Bath, and turn in car there? Or take train? This trip will be my first time driving in UK, and I am traveling with my husband and child. I am not planning on driving car in bath, only there 1 night and then returned to London Heathrow by train.

Mentioned in this post
Stratford-upon-Avon
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire, UK
London
London
England, UK
Heathrow Airport
Heathrow Airport
Hounslow, UK
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,591 Reviews
from USD 119.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,224 Reviews
from USD 122.00*
Stonehenge and Bath Day Trip from...
530 Reviews
from USD 83.00*
5 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,828 posts
433 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

By train it will take you something over three hours and you will need to change trains. Driving will take about two hours, and you can choose to drive through with the Cotswolds to see the countryside. Do make sure that the hire company has a depot in Bath though, otherwise you will be unable to hand it in! You will also need a childseat assuming your child is under 12 https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules

I would be tempted to use the car for this particular journey, if you’re not used to manual gearchange remember to specify an automatic transmission. It is one of the more pleasant and relatively short drives that you could take for your first time.

Edited: 27 March 2018, 23:12
Mentioned in this post
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

This is a rare occasion (due to the landscape, the rail network layout and the number of travellers) when car is the clear winner!

South West England...
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

And you can drive part of the Roman fosse way.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

Definitely drive his one. You can indeed drive the Roman road although it looks much like any other road now except for being unnaturally straight! Head south from Stratford on the A3400 and after about 8/9 miles you reach a roundabout (it is the first roundabout after you leave Stratfrord so you won't miss it). Take the third exit signposted for Moreton-in-Marsh and Stow and within a short time you will be in the Cotswolds Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. If you have time, take a minor detour to one or two villages e.g Chipping Campden, Stow, Naunton.

Edited: 28 March 2018, 01:59
Mentioned in this post
Moreton-in-Marsh
Moreton-in-Marsh
Cotswolds, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Chipping Campden
Chipping Campden
Cotswolds, UK
charleston, sc
Level Contributor
57 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?

Thanks everyone for all the help! Such good recommendations

Reply to: Drive car from Stratford-upon-Avon ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath