We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

Hi Folks - UK trip planned for late August. After a brief stay in London, tentative plan is to take train to Bath. From a base in Bath, we would like to visit Cotswolds, Stonehenge area and southeastern Wales with a possible trip to western Wales. We plan to be in Bath for 4-5 days.Trying to decide whether to rent a car in Bath or take day-trip tours from Bath. Or, rent the car in London? Thoughts? Thanks.

Michael

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,999 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
4 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,179 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

You can get bus tours from Bath to Stonehenge iirc (or train to Salisbury and the regular shuttle buses from there). If Stonehenge is your particular interest, that probably makes more sense.

For Cotswolds and 'south eastern waes, depends where you want to go (though a car is likely to be useful). No point in getting one in London and jdriving it to Bath, just makes your journey from London to Bath take longer and then you need to park it (which isn't always the easiest).If you are going to have a car for some or all of the tie you are in Bath, take that into account when booking accomodation.

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,999 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Cotswolds
Cotswolds
England, UK
London
London
England, UK
Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
19,292 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

This well established company do day tours to Stonehenge and the Cotswolds:

https://www.madmaxtours.co.uk/

Mentioned in this post
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,999 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,721 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

There is a public holiday on 27 August. This usually leads to traffic chaos on the M4/M5 motorways on that Monday and Friday 24th as half of Britain seems to decide this is a great time to visit the South West. Those aren't good days to be on the road! I might be out of date, but I think a lot of Bath car rental places close at noon on Saturdays and remain closed on Sundays. Hopefully none of this will affect your trip, but I thought it deserves a mention just in case.

I personally wouldn't hire a car in Central London. I see merits in collecting one from somewhere outside of London (with good transport links to your next destination). This would enable you to visit Stonehenge/Salisbury and/or Avebury on your way down to Bath.

Otherwise, the train journey is quite scenic once you are out of London and, as others have mentioned, there are day-trips available to the places you mention. Look on the Bath tourist office website for details of firms/individuals offering tours outside Bath https:/…

Western Wales is a bit of a trek (3 hours plus each way) so more of an overnight stay unless you get up super-early.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Stonehenge
Stonehenge
11,999 Reviews
Amesbury, UK
Salisbury
Salisbury
Wiltshire, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Rhode Island
Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips

Thanks for the holiday info ... I may have to rethink my itinerary schedule.

Michael

Reply to: Bath - Rental Car vs. Day Trips
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bath