We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

Which Nottingham hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
217 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

Hi,

I have been reading some negative reviews on trip advisor and other travel sites with regards to visiting Nottingham. Apparently, there's not much there worth seeing. My friend is interested in attending the University there so that's the main reason we are going but figured we stay a few days to do some sightseeing.

We averaged about 3-4 days there including the University tour. I'm in my mid'30's and my friend is in her late 20's. We're both go with the flow type of ladies and not into partying, drinking or anything like that. We just want to check out the sights, see some history, do some shopping and enjoy the culture - this includes all places we are planning to visit.

We are also going to London. My friend has never been but I have. Would you recommend staying less days in Nottingham and then going to London or visiting another place after Nottingham and then going to London?

Thanks.

Nottingham
Destination Expert
for Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
375 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

Isabella35,

Welcome to the Nottingham forum, and given you are here I guess you can expect a sell of our city! The University is great but a couple of days should be enough to see the highlights. We do have lots of shops, restaurants, and two major theatres and two major concert venues.. You will not go short of things to do. There are some lovely parks, historical interests such as the castle and the Galleries of Justice....it all depends on what you like doing. The city centre is quite compact and if you do not have a car could probably do it justice in a day. If you do have a car the area round about is fantastic with many places to visit that would occupy you for a week! Public transport links are good too for exploring round about - it is easy to get a train to many other cities for the day ( eg Lincoln or Birmingham) and then return for some more nightlife , so Nottingham would be a good base for exploration. I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions from others soon!

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

Hi there

I spent a weekend in Nottingham once. It was OK , but nothing too exciting. I wouldn't stay there any more than a couple of nights. There is much more to do in London basically because it's so much bigger.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,152 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

Hi,

If you are able to have a car then 2 places worth seeing maybe Wollaton Hall (Elizabethan house, now a natural history museum, nice, peaceful grounds, with deer, lake) & Newstead Abbey; home of Lord Byron. The abbey is in ruins but the grounds are, again, lush & peaceful. Both places are about 15-20 mins outside Nottm.

(There will be websites on both)

Southwell, an old market town, is a nice place to visit (about 35 mins from Nottm centre).

Regards

Edited: 03 May 2010, 04:08
Oxford, United...
Destination Expert
for Limassol, Cyprus
Level Contributor
9,808 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

My daughter was at university in Nottingham. I loved going up to visit her there. I thought the shops were really good and loved Woollaton Park. The university campus alone is worth a visit. It even has a lake!

Twigs

5. Re: Is Nottingham worth sightseeing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 15:16