We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walks and castles

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
Walks and castles

Hello all,

I'm heading off to Northumberland shortly, for five nights, and I'm having trouble sorting through all the castles and stately homes. Which are the must-sees? (I'm staying in Alnwick so will of course go to that one.)

Also, I would like to do some lovely walks--can anyone suggest any particularly good ones? I'm not looking to do strenuous day-long hikes, just maybe up to a few miles through some nice scenery and/or atmospheric towns.

I am traveling solo and will not have access to a car or bike.

Thanks for any advice!

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Walks and castles

A wonderful walk is from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle then onward along Embleton beach for a pint at the Ship Inn. Then walk back, taking a more inland route behind the dunes.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2015/jan/…

Make sure you visit Cragside and the picture perfect town of Rothbury.

There’s Alnmouth of course and Warkworth and the castle. Lindisfarne and a walk around Holy Island. Bamburgh beach. The Farne Islands

https://www.visitnorthumberland.com/visit

northumberland.gov.uk/Highways/…Bus.aspx

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
636 posts
36 reviews
2. Re: Walks and castles

Cragside is a must, the fortifications at Berwick are worth walking, bit of a drive but you're quite close to Hadrians Wall.

Level Contributor
2,442 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Walks and castles

As you’re going to rely on buses in the alnwick area , I’d concentrate on Alnwick/ Warkworth / Bamburgh area . Not sure if there’s a bus from alnwick to Rothbury anymore , if not it’s a journey to Morpeth first ,then up to Rothbury . Hadrian’s wall even longer . Hopefully you can find enough the alnwick area and you enjoy your stay

Seattle, Washington
9 posts
4. Re: Walks and castles

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Margaretf844, it looks as though there is a bus to Rothbury/Cragside, but the timetable is a bit limited.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
174 reviews
5. Re: Walks and castles

If your going to have a wander to Craster dont forget to try the wonderful smoked kippers from the smokehouse. There is a restaurant there as well, or take away with you, also the local crab is rather tasty.

We always end up spending a fortune on food to take away.

You will have a wonderful time in the area, Bamburgh the beach and the castle and Holy Island and the whole area is a very special place for me spent many childhood holidays there, I am very envious!

http://www.kipper.co.uk/

Edited: 01 August 2018, 13:30
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
2,260 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Walks and castles

The above suggestions are all great, but if you enjoy history don't forget churches. Alnwick, Warkworth, and Bamburgh all have beautiful medieval churches very close to the castles. They are open to visitors at reasonable times and are a step back in time.

Bamburgh has the small but very interesting Grace Darling Museum.

I secretly need the walk from Craster to Dunstanburgh Castle with a stop at the Ship Inn for lunch or a pint. The Jolley Fisherman in Craster has great crab sandwiches and soup.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
595 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Walks and castles

Another vote for the walk from Craster to Dunstanburgh ruins. We did in 2007 and it stills stands out as one of my favorite experiences in over 7 weeks of travel in the UK over 4 trips.

We also enjoyed Lindisfarne/Holy Island and Bamburgh and Warkworth castles. We had a car so no help on public transit.

Northumberland is lovely. Hope you enjoy!

Edited: 01 August 2018, 16:13
Level Contributor
2,442 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Walks and castles

That’s good news Roberta . We had a good rural bus service , but it was taken off due to the lack of council help . The run to rothbury over the moors was voted one if the best scenic routes , so hope you do it on a clear day . As said Cragside is a lovely place , although I’ve lived in the area all my life , I’ve only been in the grounds , and that was when my son wa rock climbing with the scouts ! I’m afraid because I live here I don’t visit all the lovely places . Warkworth castle , although a ruin , also is lovely , with a good river walk and as said a lovely church (christened there) you could spend a good few hours there . Even the bus ride back to Alnwick is scenic withviews over to Alnmouth and the sea .

Amble, United...
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Walks and castles

and if you're in Warkworth, don't forget to get a boat over the river to the Hermitage and have a row up to the weir xxx there are also some beautiful walks around Warkworth along both sides of the river and down to the ford at 'Black Bridge' and of course a walk to the beach, a circular walk towards Amble and back along the beach starts at the golf club car park, with refreshments in the many cafes and pubs in the village xx

Reply to: Walks and castles
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Northumberland