We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half a day in Norwich

London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Half a day in Norwich

I find myself with a few hours in Norwich. I've never been before and would like to just wander around and explore. While I'm happy to let me feet decide where to go I wondered if there any particular interesting things to see?

I'm an urban planner so any interesting public/urban realm and architecture (either modern or old) would be great too.

Finally, anywhere you can recommend for a quick grab and go lunch (something independent which I can't get in London)?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
London
London
England, UK
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,801 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half a day in Norwich

Elm Hill, to see what the mediaeval folk did right. Cathedral close and down to the river bridge, ditto. Prince of Wales Rd to see what the Victorians got right. Thorpe station - fine Loire palazzo. The inner ring road, to see what the 60s-70s got wrong. City Hall, fine Deco contraption in quite the wrong place. The castle and old county hall. The arcade, for a bit of shopping opulence of 100 years ago....all that should fill an hour or so!

Mentioned in this post
Elm Hill
Elm Hill
554 Reviews
Norwich, UK
Wales
Wales
United Kingdom
Loire Valley
Loire Valley
Centre-Val de Loire, France
Norwich
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half a day in Norwich

As for eating head to the Moorish Falafel Bar on Lower Goat Lane (we have great street names in Norwich: check out Rampant Horse Street). The falafel bar is a great place to sit outside and people watch, or takeaway. Nearby Pottergate has a host of independent eateries.

Mentioned in this post
Moorish Falafel Bar
Moorish Falafel Bar
353 Reviews
Norwich, UK
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Essex
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Half a day in Norwich

The Millennium Library at The Forum, has won awards for modern design I think......

Mentioned in this post
The Forum
The Forum
373 Reviews
Norwich, UK
England, United...
Level Contributor
9,530 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Half a day in Norwich

St.Andrew's church. It is located in St.Andrew's Street, opposite St Andrews Hall and just down from Cinema City. To quote:

<<The church of St Andrew, Norwich, is the second largest medieval parish church in the city. It is a fine example of a hall church, in late perpendicular gothic style and with a timber roof of tie beam construction. The tower is the oldest part and dates from 1478 with the rest of the building erected by 1506, replacing an existing structure>>

http://www.standrewsnorwich.org/

Mentioned in this post
St Andrews
St Andrews
Fife, UK
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
760 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Half a day in Norwich

As an Urban Planner you should probably see the Denys Lasdun designed UEA campus....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denys_Lasdun

Essex
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Half a day in Norwich

Maybre the "Norwich 12" would be your thing

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwich_12

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
222 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Half a day in Norwich

I second the UEA if you want to see some interesting design - the Ziggurats, the raised walkways and the Sainsbury's centre are cool although they destroyed the beautiful square with that awful refurbishment.

You can get a bite to eat in lots of places on the campus too.

London
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Half a day in Norwich

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a lovely couple of hours walking along the river and then seeing much of the Norwich 12. Got a falafel from the Moorish place which was good but very slow service...

Thought Norwich was a lovely city, one of the nicest I've visited actually. Some great pubs too. Shame the football result wasn't so good for me...

Mentioned in this post
Norwich
Norwich
Norfolk, UK
9. Re: Half a day in Norwich

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2016, 14:17
Get answers to your questions about Norwich