We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Kansas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

We will arrive by train from London the first week of June. There are four places that we would like to visit:

1. Norwich Cathedral

2. Hales Hall

3. Holy Trinity Church Lodden

4. Blickling House near Alsham

Afterwards return to the train station. I have several questions:

Are the first three located near to each other? Another words, can we easily walk to these?

Do I have to rent a car to get to all of these locations or is there a rental tour company that will take me to all of these places?

Any help is appreciated. I have looked on several Norwich websites and googled several things but have not had great luck.

Thanks

Edited: 28 April 2015, 12:48
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Hales Hall and Holy Trinity Church are in the village of Loddon, 26 miles from Norwich. Aylsham is more like 30 miles away in a different direction. You will need a car, and a map.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Norfolk
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
185 reviews
2. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Norwich Cathedral is in the city centre, and best visited without a car. There are also many other old and interesting buildings and streets nearby, worth a visit.

Loddon is some 12 miles south of Norwich, and can be reached by public transport or car.

Hales Hall appears to be close to Loddon, but is not somewhere that I have heard of before. It looks like an events venue. Perhaps you are going to a wedding, and reception?

Blickling Hall is around 15 miles north of Norwich, and can be reached by public transport, but not easily - services are very infrequent, and changing routes is required, which may mean waiting around.

You do not say how long you have to visit, or if you are staying in Norwich, but I would suggest that you hire a car for the out of city destinations.

Note that Aylsham has a "y" - this may help with Google searches.

Kansas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Thank you for the reply. We will be visiting sites of distant relatives, that is the why for the specific destinations in different directions.

I was trying to avoid renting a car and driving myself, but it seems like the most efficient way to accomplish this trip within a day or perhaps two. We are deciding on the length of time, but are somewhat limited in how long that we can stay.

Thank you again for your time and wisdom.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
7,242 posts
82 reviews
4. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Blickling Hall is a National Trust property. The "how to get here" section on their webpage has the nearest bus from Norwich being to Aylsham (1½ miles). If you want to visit the house it is open 12.00-17.00 five days a week:

www.nationaltrust.org.uk/blickling-estate/

Norwich is a favourite of mine - the cathedral, its close & the area around is lovely; the city retains many old buildings and individual shops - well worth looking around.

Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
693 posts
139 reviews
5. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

I think You could manage without hiring a car if you do

Norwich Cathedral via the riverside path on foot - easy and advised.

Loddon by bus -catch the X2 from Norwich bus station. From Loddon hire a taxi to Hales Hall and ask them to collect you after your required time. Bus back to Norwich.

Bickling Hall - catch X44 bus from Norwich bus station to Alyesham. Again look for a taxi in Aylesham to take you to Blickling Hall and back. Then Bus back to Norwich

Each one of the bus trips will be a day out and Norwich Cathedral is a 2/3 hour visit although as others have mentioned, you will like Norwich and can easily spend a whole day.

Edited: 29 April 2015, 17:19
Great Yarmouth...
Destination Expert
for Norwich, Great Yarmouth
Level Contributor
693 posts
139 reviews
6. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Sorry for my typo, its Blickling Hall not Bickling!

Kansas
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

Thank you! Very good suggestions. This really helps out when someone is not from the area.

8. Re: Transportation in Norwich & to Alsham

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2016, 14:16
Get answers to your questions about Norwich
Recent Conversations