We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve

West Sussex
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
New Years Eve

Where is the place to be at midnight?

Any suggestions for the evening up to would be great too. We're moving up to the area in January and thought this would be a great way to start our new lives, but not sure where to start!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
263 reviews
1. Re: New Years Eve

What kind of thing do you want?

If you want to go clubbing Prince of Wales Road is the place to be.

For something a bit more civilised I'd guess the big hotels have stuff going on, try St Giles or The Maids Head.

Most of the pubs will probably be fairly busy, you may need a ticket in advance.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
2. Re: New Years Eve

We're 40 somethings so somewhere you can enjoy a nice meal with maybe some live music would be nice. Capability of conducting a conversation without loosing your voice a bonus.

Is there a square or somewhere where folks gather to let the new year in?

I've done some research now and there really doesn't seem to be a lot going on. It's making me wonder if we'd be better aiming for a village/town near Norwich instead.

Any suggestions welcome.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: New Years Eve

There used to be NYE fireworks around the castle area and everybody used to come out of the pubs to see them. I'm not sure if the council runs this now, it is a few years since we have been out on NYE, in fact we normally head out mid afternoon and come home just as it gets busy. I'm not a fan of waiting in line in pubs to be served, especially as it is just a glorified Saturday night.

I still think there will be a decent atmosphere in Norwich city centre and a pub crawl is always a good option especially if you can get a few early pubs under your belt.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
145 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: New Years Eve

I avoid prince of Wales road like the plague, it's the kind of places that give British youth a bad name! The bars in tomblands and the city centre are much more civilised. As for nice restaurants, somewhere like middletons too good steaks etc, and is big enough to get an atmosphere going, but you'd have to book ASAP. I've not been out in the city for NYE for a few years, and am not sure if they still have fireworks at midnight

Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
5. Re: New Years Eve

St Benedicts Restaurant (general good quality food) and The Library (more grill type fare) are both central (owned by the same local person) and both are open for NYE. Also the Iron House is very nice and has a jazz trio www.theironhouse.co.uk A minutes walk from the Castle is the City Hall and clock tower (15 seconds from The Library), there used to be a crowd gather there but I'm not sure if that still happens.

West Sussex
Level Contributor
7 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: New Years Eve

Thank you all for your comments, we've opted for The Iron House as they have a Jazz band playing. Hopefully they'll be some fireworks at midnight, but don't know where yet, anyone know??

Really looking forward to it.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,235 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: New Years Eve

As I said above the fireworks used to happen from the Castle and people used to congregate around Castle Mall and near the market to view. There is no indication that I can find after looking at the Norwich City Council website that this will happen in 2013, nor can I remember it taking place in 2012. A crying shame if this is the case but again proof that Norwich falls short as a true travel destination in the UK compared to the likes of York for example.

The Iron House is a good choice. It had a very slow start and I didn't enjoy my first few visits but it has established itself as a decent option for dining in the city, a little overpriced though. I still remember the building as the Ironmongers pub (which was an interesting experience) and then Boltz (which was truly awful) so whilst I bemoan the closing of pubs in the city, in fairness, it is in better shape now than what it was.

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
263 reviews
8. Re: New Years Eve

Iron House is a solid choice. I don't think there are any fireworks either, but can't be sure. Should you get bored there may be something going on at The Birdcage pub which is just 45 seconds up the road, it tends to attract a younger (but friendly) crowd but they do good events (and have a pub cat!).

Edited: 11 December 2013, 05:01
9. Re: New Years Eve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 December 2014, 17:19
Get answers to your questions about Norwich
Recent Conversations