We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marylebone or Soho?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Marylebone or Soho?

I’m well into the planning of my three-week trip to London in March and April next year and I’ll be spending the majority of that time South Kensington, with four days at the end to spend elsewhere. I’d like to try a different part of London and so far I’ve narrowed down my choices to The Nadler Soho or The Marylebone Hotel, but I’m struggling to decide which would be best location-wise.

Both seem like very nice hotels, close to tube stations, Oxford Street and various places of interest, but would one location be more appealing than the other? My first choice was the Nadler, mainly because I’ve stayed at the South Kensington property and felt that the concept really suited me, but I'm a bit concerned Soho might a bit chaotic, especially over a weekend. I’m definitely not a nightlife person, and I’m not sure I’d be happy surrounded by a lot of revelry. Marylebone seems quieter (or is it?), and appealingly close to my beloved Selfridges, but perhaps a little more out of the way. I haven’t spent any real time in either area and I’m basing my perceptions on what I’ve read online, so I’d really appreciate the opinions of those of you more familiar with London than I am.

I guess what I’m asking is, if you were choosing between the two, which would you prefer and why? Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
2,980 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

If you're not a nightlife person, and don't go for a lot of revelry, you might be best avoiding Soho, which is really well known for its cafes, restaurants, Chinatown, pubs, and is very busy and quite crowded in the evenings.

Marylebone is rather more sedate, smarter generally, but being central London you'll find it pretty busy with traffic. Fewer tourists than Soho, but very handy for both buses and tube stations so not really out of the way..

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

I love soho because I love to be in the thick of things but if you prefer quieter areas then Marylebone would probably suit you better.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

This probably won't help but either will be absolutely fine. I think Marylebone residents might be surprised to hear themselves described as out of the way though:). I would go with the Nadler assuming it has mini kitchens which would be a boon, and it's far enough away from the ahem, liveliness I'd have thought to be quiet. Plus it's still squeaky clean new. But Marylebone is very nice with great transport on the doorstep and a more relaxed villagey feel (relatively speaking. This is prime central London after all).

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

Thank you for the replies so far. I am leaning towards Marylebone based on location, but I like the Nadler based on the actual hotel. If only the Nadler was in Marylebone it'd be perfect!

I realise in hindsight that "out of the way" probably wasn't the best description for Marylebone, I meant it really just in comparison to Soho. I know it's very central, which is part of the appeal. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

There is cross rail work going on around the nadler at the moment, most of it is underground but a couple of streets are closed off so the area is not quite as it should be, not enough to stop people staying there but worth a mention.

Soho can be vibrant in the evenings where as marylebone is calm and more grown up.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,291 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

If you like Selfridges you will also like the shops on Marylebone High Street and nearby streets too. Really nice area.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

I would opt for Soho. I would hardly use words like "chaotic" and "revelry" to describe the atmosphere around there. It's just an area where quite a lot happens. It isn't wild though.

8. Re: Marylebone or Soho?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 15:19