We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annoying the Locals

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Annoying the Locals

A photo essay

telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9143…

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Annoying the Locals

'hubby is a vet' - in the UK that means he's what you'd call a veterinarian!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Annoying the Locals

LOL! I will learn the language eventually. ;-)

We actually use "vet" for animal doctor here as well. I guess context dictates which one is meant. But yes, Hubby is ex-service, and an officer at that.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Annoying the Locals

Tracie, the Piccadilly line cars are well equipped for families of three with luggage.

…wn.com/pd/02/65/2027653a1b4ce492271cc533301… The space you see on the left in the photo is also available at the opposite door and at two other doors in the car. The Piccadilly line cars were designed for travellers from and to the airport, so you'll be far from the only pax boarding the train with luggage in tow.

Those who pause for reflection at the top or foot of an escalator are also often the same people who walk through the door of a stop and then put on the brakes to consider their next move. Would they do that when driving along the motorway at a good clip? Hm. There is a special door into Room 101 for those people.

Edited: 16 March 2012, 07:30
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,331 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Annoying the Locals

Uh oh. '...walk through the door of a stop' should read 'door of a shop'.

Must look to my own foibles!!

Saratoga Springs, NY
Level Contributor
5,452 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Annoying the Locals

LOL! It's always good to know I'm not the only one typing something like that :-)

thanks again for the input! So maybe I will go back to plan A :-)

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Annoying the Locals

Oh, every tourist location in the world has a list of regulary asked dumb questions. Is there water all the way around the island? And... Will there be a sunset tonight? are legend in Key West. There are always people that are rather clueless in life (do you have to leave your shopping cart in the center of the isle? And why wait to pull out your wallet - did you think your purchases would be free today?) are still rather clueless on vacation too.

I will be bothering all of you very soon (after I hit the search box a few million times - love that thing!) as I will be visiting both London and the English Countryside for the first time in June! And I am clueless (but not THAT clueless I hope!) about how things work. After all, they really are alien machines to me and all of that - LOL!

Looking forward to alot of great advice soon!

Jayne

Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,682 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Annoying the Locals

Well now I know what to do and what not to do in order to blend in with the locals!

I think that sometimes, if your bad habits are not pointed out to you, then you don't actually realise that you are doing anything wrong. At home you have your routine that doesn't need thinking about but in a strange and completely different environment you have lost that routine and become a bit awestruck and maybe lose a bit of commonsense until you have figured out how things are done.

It's good to know that you Londoners are a polite and patient lot and won't bite if we stumble around a bit until we get the hang of things. :)

space coast, fl
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Annoying the Locals

Not a local, but don't consider myself as a tourist either. Family lives in London/Ruislip so really Greater London. Ive never felt uncomfortable as it's usually easy to figure out the norm. I'm more a tourist other places in Europe, but even then I think it may be hard to spot me as a tourists other than accent or tan (from Fl.)

If you pay attention to the norm, and aren't oblivious to your surroundings, you will usually be just fine!

Enjoy!

Juli

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Annoying the Locals

LOL when I read the "hubby is a vet" comment, I had visions of a vet doing some 'knackering' (or, should that be de-knackering??)

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,966 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Annoying the Locals

We realize that we tourists slow down pedestrians who are moving at tremendous speed through subway turnstiles, not waiting for the barrier to close before swiping their Oyster Cards.

But if you live in SoCal, you get used to the same thing - except with people in *cars* (rental) from other nations who do not know which exit or set of lanes they need to be in and wait until the last minute then slide across many lanes of traffic.

Seriously, the number of tourist-involved accidents where I live (northern Los Angeles) is scary - waiting 2 seconds at a turnstile seems mild by comparison.

Many of us are slow(er) when outside our native environments. Since most Southern Californians drive 80 mph (at least) in the two fast lanes, those rental cars that go 65 in the fast lane are way more perplexing than someone who thinks a barrier has to shut before a card can be swiped (at Disneyland, you do have to wait for one person to complete turn the turnstile before another can hit the turnstile, perhaps we're all trained in that direction here).

At any rate, it's much safer to a little pedestrian congestion than a sudden back up where people are driving 80-90 mph...