We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Annoying the Locals

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Annoying the Locals

A photo essay

telegraph.co.uk/travel/picturegalleries/9143…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Annoying the Locals

Oh, I am literally laughing out loud, and shaking my head, all at the same time. Many of these annoyances are common to tourists everywhere: most of them apply to Chicago (and I'm sure other cities). We do not get anywhere close to the number of tourists London does, so it's even more frequently annoying for Londoners.

Be sure to check out the "top 20 stupid questions that tourists ask", which includes questions about Australia and the U.S., in addition to the UK. There's a link on the page provided by TexScott.

Thanks for the entertainment, TexScott.

Edited: 15 March 2012, 09:30
Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,836 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Annoying the Locals

LOL! You would like to think that the top 20 stupid questions are urban myths. Somehow, I doubt it!

Cheers Tex

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Annoying the Locals

Some years ago I was at the end of South Parade Pier in Southsea and got chatting to an American tourist, he pointed to the 3 sea forts in the Solent, built by Lord Palmerston (then PM) in 1868 to keep the French at bay and said "I'm amazed that the British government allows drilling for oil so close to the mainland"!!!!!!

Edited: 15 March 2012, 10:04
UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,300 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Annoying the Locals

Must have been a slow day at the Telegraph that day

Probably all made up

The UK receives millions of tourists a year and I suppose a small percentage don't know much about where they are.

But the vast majority take time to research their visit and get the best out of their time here?and we love ll of you

No matter you are all welcome and don't be frightened to ask questions.

Even he outwardly stupid ones were probably asked in innocence and have pobbly lost one thing in translation.

I am sure that we have all been abroad in a strange place and asked someone a question that probably didn't need asking.

Let's have a giggle but not take the Tlegraph more seriously than it ask itself

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Annoying the Locals

I enjoyed it, especially the link to the Top 20 ridiculous complaints by holidaymakers.

:)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Annoying the Locals

Things that annoy me:

1. You must mean the TOWER Bridge dammit - not the London Bridge! Is your only knowledge of London based on a nursery rhyme?

2. Don't post anything but photos of the hotel on the hotel review section. If I find that you have posted any of your tourist photos as part of your hotel review, I will reach through your computer screen and strangle you!

3. Must see attractions in London? Military museums and pubs - that's all you need to see - now get on with it!

4. The SEARCH box located at the top of the forum - just ignore that. Probably doesn't work anyway because it has been more than five years since anyone has used it.

5. Can I recommend a reasonably priced hotel near to all of the tourist attractions and close to the tube? Well, sorry, there was one hotel that fit your requirements but it burned down last month.

6. Travelcard or Oyster Card? What is dark matter? Is there a God? Why don't sheep shrink when it rains? ----- Some questions are meant to be unanswerable.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Annoying the Locals

"4. The SEARCH box located at the top of the forum - just ignore that. Probably doesn't work anyway because it has been more than five years since anyone has used it."

It is annoying though when you do use it, the results are "defaulted" to relevance rather than date, how many times have we seen on this forum "I used the search function but the last posts were from some years ago".

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
12,836 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Annoying the Locals

To add to TexScott's list

1. Don't call St Pancras, St Pancreas. It is not named after an organ

2. Don't ask for a hotel price in USD, EUR or any other currency. If I was looking for a hotel in New York, I wouldn't ask for the price in Chinese Renminbi

3. Curry houses. Brick Lane is touristy - get over it

4. 2-4-1 travelcards.

5. Save yourself time, Google some of your questions. It's only what we do

6. Don't buy football tickets from touts, or expect to see top Premier League games as a visitor when genuine supporters of the clubs can't get tickets

Edited: 15 March 2012, 10:46
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Annoying the Locals

"2. Don't ask for a hotel price in USD, EUR or any other currency. If I was looking for a hotel in New York, I wouldn't ask for the price in Chinese Renminbi"

Have to agree with you on that one.

NE Victoria...
Level Contributor
2,672 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Annoying the Locals

Re TexScott's number 5 - was that reasonably priced hotel which burnt down within walking distance of all the major sights, too?

:)

I have to say that I'm quite fond of references to St Pancreas - no doubt they can be irritating and of course, they are incorrect, but they always make me smile.