We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Copenhagen, Denmark
7 posts
Save Topic
landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Dear forum

I am landing at heathrow next manday morning 6,55 and my next flight i 10,10 am from stansted - is it possible or shall I give up!!??

Regards, Sigge

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

You must have two separate tickets, as the connecting time is 5 mins less than the minimum connection time allowed for selling through tickets.

You have a chance of making it but it will be very tight and any delay to the first flight or while connecting absolutely will cause you to miss the second flight. I rate your chances at only about 60:40 in favour.

There is a coach from Heathrow to Stansted that takes approx an hour and a half. At the time of day you are travelling, I would be worried about traffic.

Alternatively, you can take the Heathrow Express, from Paddington take the circle line tube to Liverpool St and then the Stansted Express. This will probably take an hour and a half in total as well. The tube is likely to be very crowded at that time of morning.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 08:12
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

That's a very tight connection. If you can book a flight from STN allowing another hour or 90 minutes more then consider doing so.

There could be delays at passport control, baggage collection and even the potential for delays in the plane landing and getting on stand, as early morning is busy at LHR. Traffic on the M25 to the M11 may be problematic as well.

If the flight from STN is with an airline that has very tight controls on check in time, and if you miss that time by a minute or two then you'll be out of luck and have to buy another ticket at walk up prices.

If you can buy another ticket for your flight from STN now at a reduced fare it may be worth it.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Not possible on public transport, its not only the travel time, but the waiting time.

If the traffic is in your favour (which is unlikely), you could do it in an hour and a bit in a prebooked taxi waiting for you, but even then, with an hour on average to get out of Heathrow, odds you'd make it are low, that only gives you an hour at Stansted best case, and some airlines have a 40 minute or so cut off.

Your message though isn't clear, when you say "my next flight" do you mean the next *possible* flight to a destination, or you are booked on that flight already?

If its the next possible flight, its unrealistic, so book a later one. If you already booked it, well I'd say you are stuffed but you could spend £100 on a taxi and try and make it.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 08:45
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Oh boy that's tight. I wouldn't say you should give up, but I'd certainly try to rebook a better connecting flight if you can. If you can't, then just keep fingers, toes, and everything else crossed that you get through Heathrow and then the M25 traffic. It's doable, but only just, I think I'd agree with Lava that your chances are about half and half.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,007 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Landing at 06:55 on a weekday. The first coach you are likely to be able to get (assuming you land at T1 or T3) is the 08:10 arriving STN at 09:30 - which for most of the airlines using STN means checkin will have closed. IF you don't have checked luggage and can do on-line checkin for your onward flight there is a chance (slight) of making it. But it's high risk.

If you arrival terminal isn't T1 or T3 then tell us. But do remember you'll be travelling in the middle of the morning rush hour which isn't conducive to getting places fast.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

Are you going on some sort of holiday? The idea of a holiday is meant to be some form of relaxation not crapping out bricks because you may stuff up a connecting flight.

Book a later one, pay the extra and relax.

Copenhagen, Denmark
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

thanks for all your answers.

Yes, I have already bought the to tickets!

It is not a holiday - it is a funeral in the states - so I was busy buying the tickets.

I expect only to take handbagage.

It is crowded on the stations and there are heavy traffic on the roads - but is a taxi the fastest possibility - or is the first choice lava_ mentioned - coach from Heathrow to Stansted as fast as a cab!

The second choise from lava_ I have to/three shifts on crowded stations. I think it must be more risky if both routes normally takes one and a half hour.

Again, thank you for your respons.

regards a stressed traveller

Sigge

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
736 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

You could use a motorcycle transfer which will be sure to get there on time, particularly as you only have hand luggage. There are at least three operators that do motorcycle transfer between London Airports.

Copenhagen, Denmark
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

sorry , I forgot to tell that I will arrive at terminal 1.

Alanrow - you said the first coach I possible can get is 8,10. At what time is the coach before?

regards, sigge

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: landing heathrow 6,55 am going stanstead 10,10??

There appears to be one at 740.

www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

You might just make that, but you could equally miss the 810, you are landing at peak, peak time.

Edited: 11 December 2011, 10:19