We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highbury for holidays

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Highbury for holidays

Hi everybody,

in november I will be in London for the first time. As zone 1 seems to be very pricey, I am looking for a flat in zone 2; I've found a pretty decent property in Highbury, near Holloway road tube station (the exaxt address is Lorain Rd). The landlord asks £480 for 8 nights, do you think is it a reasonable price for that place? And what about Highbury? Do you think could it be fine for a first time tourist?

Thank you so much!

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highbury for holidays

It seems like a very reasonable price, though that would really depend on what the flat is like. It's news to me that Loraine Road is in Highbury though, and I suspect the landlord calls it that because it sounds better than Holloway. Don't be put off though. The area may not be terribly posh but you're only ten minutes walk from Upper Street, which has some great pubs, bars and restaurants and is considered a very desirable area (a rental flat there would be twice the price). You can also be in central London very quickly by public transport. For someone on a budget this could be a good compromise, ie good transport links and near (though not in) a smart and lively area.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 08:25
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,699 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highbury for holidays

Do you have a link or reference for the flat you've found?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highbury for holidays

How big is this flat ? 2 bed ones seem to go for £400 a week for long term lets. So £480 seems very low for 8 days considering the extra work and expenses the landlord would have.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 17:36
Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highbury for holidays

holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/…170592

Thank you for your help.

london
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highbury for holidays

So the flat's just off the Holloway Rd. It's not a touristy area at all, it's a Londoner's place, not pretty, but good for affordable cafes and restaurants (I eat there now and then). It's got good transport, too. If you look on Youtube you'll find videos of it.

The owner sounds like he'd know some good insider places to visit. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,116 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highbury for holidays

its a reasonable area with loads of places to eat. transport links are good but it will be extremely busy if Arsenal are playing while you are there.

An estate agent would describe it as Highbury but it is not really.

If it is legitimate I would be happy to stay there.

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highbury for holidays

Thank you so much for your help, very appreciated!

london
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highbury for holidays

I wonder if it's the same property as this one

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k459…

Potenza, Italy
Level Contributor
152 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Highbury for holidays

Probably it is. I've checked Arsenal matches during our stay...and unfortunately, the team will play at home 2 times (on th 1st and on the 5th) during our stay. Could be this be a problem? Like using the metro...walking down Holloway road...I don't know very much about Arsenal supporters.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highbury for holidays

Well their team is pretty lousy !