We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

Will Harrods be far too busy to bother going to the day before the wedding? I was planning on going there for coffee on 28th April. Will it be a nightmare? Is it a major tourist attraction?

Thanks

Sharon

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

Harrods is a very expensive shop owned by the Qatari royal family. It's some peoples' idea of a tourist attraction - Lord knows why. I used to live round the corner and never went in.

London, England
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

There are much nicer places for coffee in London than Harrods. As a Londoner I can never see the attraction of Harrods.

IMHO Selfridges and John Lewis just as good, but cheaper.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
53,571 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

If you want to have a look around the shop and stop for a cup of coffee then that's what you should do.

It's a very poppular destination for a number of visitors, but ultimately it's just a shop. And again, if you want to have a look around then that's fine. About the crowds though; Knightsbridge station and the walk from station to shop can be very crowded. If you want to avoid some of the aggro and are travelling from east to west then take any of the numbers 14, 74 or 414 buses from Hyde Park Corner as they call very near the main entrance but you'll not need to work your way through the hordes along Brompton Road.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

It's definitely worth seeing...though VERY pricey (10-12 years ago a Harrod's Sweatshirt was over $50. I dont think so.

The Food Halls are fascinating.......

California
Level Contributor
320 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

I think that Harrods is an "institution" - that just about every traveler to London has heard about. I don't know if it's worth it to have coffee there as there are nicer places, but if you have never been there before (which you obviously haven't) then it's worth it to brave whatever crowds there may be and check it out. As the previous poster states, it has a great food hall which is well worth seeing - nothing like you have ever seen in good ol' S.A.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,474 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

I always think Harrods is worth a visit, where in the world is another department store like it, however I would only viisit the food hall, it's spectacular.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,801 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

Harrod's is worth a snoop IMO, esp.the foodhalls which are a good place to pick up a snack. There are better places for a coffee though - including the usual chain suspects up and down Old Brompton Road.

Comet, Qld
Level Contributor
563 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

The first time I went to Harrod's was because it was one of those things you do in London. So go and have a look. Don't let the naysayers put you off and decide for yourself.

The 2nd time was only to buy something that a friend wanted. Hubby loved the food hall (and the free samples of fudge) but I like the one at Fortnum and Mason's better.

Can't speak for the coffee - I don't drink it much.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
13,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

With new owners, is it now acceptable for those in military uniforms to go in the shop?

Stoofer

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harrods - worth a visit with wedding crowds?

Actually I have been to Harrods twice before on previous visits but each time it's been a rush. The last time we arrived 15 mins before closing time. I have heard so much about their hot chocolate but never had time to stop for a cup. After reading this, it's probably not worth it.

I've read that the British Portrait museum has a coffee shop with great views. Anyone have a thoughts on that?

Spottyonetwo, you're right, we have nothing comparable to any of the worlds famous department stores. You guys are spoilt for choice.