We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grilled cheese sandwich

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Grilled cheese sandwich

I'm going to visit the Borough Market on Friday the 23rd of January and I'd like to know where I can have one of those famous grilled cheese sandwiches. :) Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

I am intrigued. What is a grilled cheese sandwich? Is just a fancy name for a cheese toastie?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

I think you are probably referring to the 'raclette'. The stand is in the Jubilee area of the market, and no it isn't another name for a toastie.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

I just googled "raclette" .... phewww, looks too bloody difficult, with too many ingredients, to me :-) I'll just go with the grilled cheese sanger ala 2 slices of bread, strong bitey cheese in the middle, butter the outside of the bread and then put in electric frying pan to turn nicely golden brown, turning over when appropriate - making sure cheese is melted of course :-)

Mind you, next time I'm in London, if I see this 'raclette' shop/stand, I'll give one a go, seeing as someone else will be making it LOL

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,107 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

According to the NY Times, it's at the back of the market in Park Street:

…nytimes.com/travel/…

You ought to read this too - Bill comments on his ingredients at the bottom of the blog:

…blogspot.com/2007/06/neals-yard-dairy-under…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

Very interesting! I happened to have caught an episode of "Cheese Slices" at the weekend and it was about Neals Yard Dairy! If one could eat the tv screen, I was tempted!

Is Borough Market open every day? We arrive in London late Sunday afternoon and leave the following Saturday morning, so I'm hoping we can get one of these sangers while we're there :-) The sound of that delish cheese with onions makes my mouth water as I type. The ingredients for a 'raclette' that I found on the web did not, however - too many ingredients!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,992 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

The market is open on Thursday (slightly smaller), Friday & Saturday.

London
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

This is the feller with the toasties;

www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml…

You'll find him by the wall next to Southwark cathedral.

Madeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
867 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

Wonderful tips guys! Thank you! I didn't know the sandwich was called 'raclette'.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

The stall selling them is on the side of the market near Southwark Cathedral. They are ery good and can be messy.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,786 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grilled cheese sandwich

I don't get the reference to raclette, unless they just generically mean melted cheese. Raclette is a wheel of cheese (definitely not cheddar) that you melt slowly and scrape off the melted part onto your plate that contains potatoes, ham, and cornichons.