We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

6 posts
My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

I will be arriving in London on a Sunday Evening at Heathrow and leaving on Wednesday evening. I will be primarily staying in Zones 1-2 except on my return to Heathrow, which I understand is in Zone 6.

I plan to travel each weekday around London and before 9:30 am on at least 1 day. I will mostly be using the tube.

Would it be worth it to use a 7 day travel card on an Oyster with some minimum credit for Heathrow? Or would the Oyster card by itself be a better deal? Let me know what you guys think.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,785 Reviews
from USD 120.20*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from USD 110.50*
USD 122.80
11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
572 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

You don't say where you're coming from but if you have a contactless debit or credit card you could use that on public transport instead of an oyster card

CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

I have the same question :) Other than traveling from Heathrow to city center on our arrival/departure day, we will be in Zone 1-2 for 6 days. Would it be better to load an Oyster card with say £30 or buy a "7 day travel card" to load on the Oyster card? Thanks so much! (We're from California & public transportation is basically nonexistent so this is all new to us--thanks for the help!)

Edited: 15 October 2018, 12:31
CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
3. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

So with a contactless credit card, it's like pay as you go?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,411 posts
111 reviews
4. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

<So with a contactless credit card, it's like pay as you go?>

Yes, in addition there is a Monday-Sunday weekly cap using contactless.

https:/…contactless

Edited: 15 October 2018, 12:48
6 posts
5. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

No, I don't have a contactless card and even if I did I have a feeling I would get killed in foreign currency transaction fees every time.

CA
Level Contributor
79 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

@ Kevin We don't have the contactless card either. Someone else posted this website & it was really helpful! It explained so many different scenarios very clearly https:/…underground.htm

We are in London for a full 6 days so we are going to get an Oyster card with a 7 day travel card loaded for Zone 1-2 (where will be 90% of the time) so we don't have to reload funds. We are just going to add some additional ££ to cover the ride to/from Heathrow.

@Charlie--thank you again! When we purchase our Oyster & 7 day travel cards at Heathrow, can we also add the pay as you go funds to get to & from Heathrow? Just curious if this all can be done in one transaction?

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,411 posts
111 reviews
7. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

<Just curious if this all can be done in one transaction?>

First you get the Oyster card, £5 deposit and and PAYG funds. That’s one transaction (if I remember correctly you have to add at least £5 PAYG, I stand to be corrected).

Next you add the Travelcard, I am pretty sure that’s a second transaction, but there will be staff on hand to assist.

It’s all very easy, you do these transactions at s ticket machine.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 14:46
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,707 posts
449 reviews
8. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

<<No, I don't have a contactless card and even if I did I have a feeling I would get killed in foreign currency transaction fees every time.>>

You only get billed once per day for either that 24hrs’single journeys added together or the daily cap, so you don’t get, say, six transactions a day but only one, so that’s one ameliorating factor, and then perhaps look to switch to a card that has no fees?

London
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
70 reviews
9. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

A week travelcard saves money for anyone traveling extensively for more than five days in a seven day period. For a Sunday to Wednesday stay - it's not a money saver - it'll cost more than using electronic pay as you go (oyster or contactless or Phone pay). Don't buy anything in advance - if you don't have contactless you can obtain an oyster quickly and easily on arrival.

6 posts
10. Re: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?

@TravelMum2014 and @rcspeirs. Thank you, I'll stick with the Oyster card PAYG.

Reply to: My first time in London. Oyster and/or Travel Card?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted