We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

Level Contributor
41 posts
53 reviews
Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

Hi,

I'm Colombian but I decided to do this research in the english forum considering that perhaps I could get some more accurate information about this topic here.

Since I've been studying in Germany for a little more than one year, I have had the posibility of visiting this country as well as many others on my fee time, thus discovering a new passion. England is one of the countries I wanted to visit the most since I was a teenager, however this isn't as easy for me as it probably is for others because of the visa procedure.

This year I wanted to start my visa process to visit England and specially London (another dreams of my childhood), however I was recently notified that the big ben tower is completely covered with scaffolding due to restauration works.

I remembered that when I visited the Trevi fountain in Rome in June 2015 and this June 2018 in Prague after visiting the astronomical Clock, oh my god, WHAT A disappointment. Fortunately, I had another opportunity to enjoy both of them.

I wouldn't like the same to happen in London, specially with its most iconic sightseeing. With that said I considered to putt off my trip to England, but I know this restauration works might take 2 or even 3 more years.

Do you thing that it would be actually worth to put off this trip until 2020?, perhaps at that time it would be at least more visible than it is right now.

Weren't for the annoying visa process, I could visit now and do it on another opportunity again as it happened with both of the sightseeings mentioned above.

What do you think about it. But the way, London is not the only city in the uk I was considering to visit.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 05:36
29 replies to this topic
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,659 posts
446 reviews
1. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

If scaffolding on one tower in London will spoil your trip then it would be wise not to come.

On the other hand if you want palaces, castles, museums, art galleries, theatres, shops, restaurants and so on, then do please come there’s plenty to see and do.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

"One who's tired of London is tired of life". I agree with Dr Samuel Johnson totally.

Yuri.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,355 posts
111 reviews
3. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

<however I was recently notified that the big ben tower is completely covered with scaffolding due to restauration works.>

Bizarre reason not to visit London and the UK.. There is so much more to see and do.

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
154 reviews
4. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

We were disappointed to see the tower covered up. However there were so many other reasons to visit that it did not ruin our experience in exploring the city. Clearly if the tower must be seen than put it off but I would not avoid the city because of this.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

Scaffoldings around the Elizabeth Tower may be there for sometime. Parliament is in urgent need of repair.

I know it is annoying when you want to take pictures of landmarks, & they are covered in scaffolding or there is some works lorry park outside. However there are plenty of other landmarks to see in London,& many museums to see.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 05:47
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
53,330 posts
1,800 reviews
6. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

While we do enjoy the tower with Big Ben, we have hardly noticed on several recent visits.

However, as we have visited London so many times, we tend to overlook scaffolding and cranes on the skylines. They are always about, and in great abundance.

I contend that London will be a wonderful city, if they ever “finish it... “

I only wish that I had invested in a scaffolding company there, many years ago - same for New York, Tokyo, Washington DC and New Orleans.

I would go, and just buy a postcard, or similar, of the tower, without the scaffolding.

There is so very much to see and do, that you will likely not miss that one view.

Enjoy,

Hunt

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

Work will be carried out on the Houses of Parliament until at last 2025. By that time work might have comenced on lots of other places. There is much more to London than Big Ben!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
59,331 posts
12 reviews
8. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

'Do you thing that it would be actually worth to put off this trip until 2020?, perhaps at that time it would be at least more visible than it is right now.'

No, I wouldn't put the trip off. You're in Germany, very near the UK, and you'd like to visit - take the opportunity. We don't know what life will bring, and if you're curious about the world then see it now. Buena suerte.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
494 posts
9. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

NO - definitely not enough reason to put off a trip to London!

Far more to see, do and visit than Big Ben or the Elizabeth Tower to give it the proper name. It would be very strange if seeing BB was the sole reason for visiting London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
614 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?

Yes do come anyway. There are still opportunities to tour the inside of Parliament, which is in my view even more impressive than Big Ben.

Reply to: Enough reason to put off a trip to London?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted