We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

Hello,

We land at LGW at 7:30am 2 months from now and want to get to Paris as soon as possible. What’s the best way to get to Paris?

1) Land in LGW at 7:30am. Take the train from LGW to St Pancras International and take the Euro Star Train to Paris. Since we arrive at 7:30am we would plan to take the Euro Star train at 12:24pm and get to Paris by 2:45pm

2) Land in LGW at 7:30am.Take a Taxi or Tarin from LGW to Heathrow Airport from there catch a flight at 11:30am to Paris and get to Paris by 1:30pm.

3) Land in LGW at 7:30am. Wait until 1:55pm (earliest flight out of LGW to Paris) and take a flight out of LGW and land in Paris around 4:00pm.

Which one would be the best option? Which would be the quickest and most convenient way to get to Paris?

We will be in Paris for 7 nights then we will be back to London for 5 nights before heading back to the US.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,782 Reviews
from USD 121.60*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from USD 111.80*
USD 124.20
17 replies to this topic
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
64 reviews
1. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

The quickest and most covenient option would not be to land at Gatwick in the first place.

Of those options, I'd do number one. Number two is bonkers - less time between arrival and departure, more expensive, more hassle and won't get you to central Paris any faster than one even if you do make it.

Number three is probably the most stress free and most risk adverse, but slower.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 02:38
Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
11,678 posts
446 reviews
2. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

I agree - the the "best " way involves not going to Gatwick - you need to price your convenience as you are going to be travelling for a very long time.....

If flying to Gatwick is a given then certainly use Option 1 but note that you arrive at 1547 as Paris is in a different timezone to London.

London
Level Contributor
12,243 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

As we said in your post yesterday, these unprotected self connections are full of hassle and leave you open to significant extra costs if one leg is late. None of the options are good.

Look art a routing that allows you to fly into Paris and home from London - known in the business as 'open jaw'.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
54 reviews
4. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

IMO "best" would be stay the first 3 nights in central London (ideally somewhere near St Pancras), then Eurostar to Paris for the 7 nights, then Eurostar back to London for the final 2 nights before flying home.

By doing that you remove any issues and impacts of your incoming flight being delayed; and you can fix your Eurostar train booking for whatever exact departure time you prefer. Those benefits outweigh the hassle of an extra accommodation swap IMO.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,372 posts
111 reviews
5. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

I agree with KWUK. After a long haul flight from the US to London, the last thing I want to do is travel on to another city, especially if it is another country and involves another 8 hours of travel. (at least consider spending one night in London.

PMQuestions is right on, you do lose an hour traveling to Paris, so you would probably be checking into your Paris accommodation between 5 and 6 pm, close to 24 hours after arriving at your departure airport in the US.

<What’s the best way to get to Paris?>

To answer your question, I would pick option 3 as my first choice. Option 1 would be second and I wouldn't even consider option 2 as a viable choice.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 03:38
New Mexico
Level Contributor
14,372 posts
111 reviews
6. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

Just to add, sunset time in early December in Paris is just before 5 pm.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
354 reviews
7. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

I also agree with KWUK. Spend your first couple of days in London, then go to Paris, then come back to London again. Otherwise you're wasting a whole day just travelling.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,728 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

If you haven’t already seen this Traveller Article from the Air Travel forum about the risks associated with connecting on separate tickets, then please read this:

https:/…Connecting.On.Separate.Tickets.html

Especially as it seems you’re travelling in the dead of winter and perhaps at Christmastime.

If you really wanted to be in Paris, then that’s where you should have booked for. Sorry to be harsh, but that’s the reality.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
20 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

Thanks, for the great feedback.

What I’m thinking of doing is option 3.

Even though it would be about a 5 hour or so layover we won’t have to rush or worry about delays.

Plus we can pass time in the priority lounge 😊🍾

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
54 reviews
10. Re: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?

If it were possible, how much would it cost to get the USA to LHR flight amended to a direct flight to Paris ?.

Reply to: LGW Airport to Paris. Quickest and most convenient way?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted