We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London & Paris

Bellmore, New York
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
97 reviews
London & Paris

Just starting my planning so I hope you could give me some ideas before I begin reading all the great advice on this board. Would like to plan London/Paris for possibly September, 2019. Good time of year? We have been to Paris (2013) but not to London. Maybe 8-10 days in total.......Eurostar to get from one to the other. Any preference which we should fly to first? Have an idea where to stay in Paris.....what about London? Any tips or ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you!

9 replies to this topic
paris london
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: London & Paris

September is fine, but it's expensive, as business travel generally stops in August then doubles in September to compensate. Base your flights on what's cheapest and your travel plans. Always, always plan what you're going to do first, and only then work out what location is most convenient for your stay.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,650 posts
2. Re: London & Paris

September is a great time to visit.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
7,863 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: London & Paris

Why not look for an open jaw ticket (multi city)

Fly into one catch Eurostar then fly out of the other.

Gives a little more time for sightseeing.

Book well in advance for the best prices and use www.eurostar.com

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
74,501 posts
478 reviews
4. Re: London & Paris

An open jaw ticket is a great idea. It will save you time, which could be very valuable even if costs a little more.

If you decide not to do an open jaw, then split your days so that you do your arrival and departure cities first and last, with the other city in the middle. I recommend that you don't risk your flight home by starting your departure day in a different country, and don't try and travel onwards on your arrival day by way of an unprotected connection by air or rail.

Greater Manchester...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
12,297 posts
54 reviews
5. Re: London & Paris

Given that you've already been to Paris, start there IMO.

Have 3-4 days in Paris, then Eurostar to central London. Have 5-7 days based in London. Fly home from London. September would be a good choice.

Edited: 11 October 2018, 19:54
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
555 posts
82 reviews
6. Re: London & Paris

Definitely try to do open jaw tickets, as you will lose a good part of the day in travel. I just returned from a 2 week trip to London & Paris (a week each). We'd been to both cities, but were much more familiar with Paris than with London. For that reason, I chose to start in London when we were fresher and had a lot more energy to explore new places. It was also nice to end a trip in a familiar place, and feel not as compelled to see every sight.

I had originally planned to book open jaw tickets, but then got a great promotional rate on a small, all-business class airline, La Compagnie, so flew in and out of Paris. We took the Eurostar both ways. It wasn't nearly as difficulty as I was afraid, although it is a good loss of a day in travel, so for that reason, if I were you, I'd stick with open jaw tickets. If you're interested, feel free to send me a message.

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
22 reviews
7. Re: London & Paris

Hi martyap,

If you've been to Paris before, I would start there, have a few days in the city and then go to London.

I'd give yourself a good few days to explore London as there's so much to do here! For an idea of things to do and places to eat please view my post on the city: https://checkintuneout.com/2018/07/31/london/

September will be a great time to visit London as the weather should still be warm enough to explore without the need for a coat, and you should have some lovely evenings to enjoy dinner & drinks by the river Thames.

Enjoy planning your trip!

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
6 reviews
8. Re: London & Paris

If would help people suggest hotels for you both in London & Paris if you give us a idea of your budget.

In £s for London & in Euros for Paris.

As for the weather I came throught Paris in early September as I do much years, it was warmer than usual.

In London at the moment it is also milder than it was last year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,235 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: London & Paris

You can stay anywhere in central London but you train to Paris leaves from St Pancras station and there are lots of hotels around there or just south is the area of Bloomsbury , a bit quieter and very popular with tourists .

Reply to: London & Paris
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted