We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

Buena Vista...
2 posts
Save Topic
From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

Arriving at Heathrow from Germany (Lufthansa) on Wednesday about 1PM. Destination is St James Court in central London. How easy with Luggage (2 people, 2 suitcases plus back packs) I know closest tube station is St James Park. Advice?

Also I see a car service that picks you up at exit site, and you make reservations for type of car. It states that they wait an hour from time of arrival before leaving and that they also watch for plane delays and appropriately change the schedule. What i worry about is that enough safety in time from getting off plane going through passenger processes and getting luggage and still making connection with driver. Of course I realize that this is considerably more expensive.

Thank you for all advice.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from USD 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,249 Reviews
from USD 112.50*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
746 Reviews
from USD 102.40*
9 replies to this topic
New Mexico
Level Contributor
13,516 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

Take the London Underground aka The Tube. Thousands do every day.

We travel on it all the time with luggage. Take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, exit and walk across the platform and take the next District Line train to St. James's Park station, easy.

The Piccadilly line begins its journey at Heathrow and the cars have dedicated space for luggage. The District Line cars are wider and we find it very easy to travel with luggage on these cars.

Mind your luggage on the tube so it doesn't get loose and roll into another passenger. It is also good etiquette to remove your backpacks so you don't smack someone in the face.

content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

A much faster way is the Heathrow Express (15 minutes) to Paddington Station. Then it's a easy-to-get and short $15 black taxi ride to St. James Park. Much much easier and faster after a long journey with luggage. Just my two cents...have a great trip!

Edited: 16 August 2018, 13:42
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

“A much faster way is the Heathrow Express (15 minutes) to Paddington Station. Then it's a easy-to-get and short $15 black taxi ride to St. James Park. Much much easier and faster after a long journey with luggage.”

==========

No it’s not. The HEX may take 15 minutes but you have to wait up to 15 minutes for each train (the tube is every 4-5 minutes). Then at Paddington you have to haul yourself and your luggage to the taxi rank to get a cab (5 minutes if you know where you’re going, more like 10 for those who don’t). And then another likeky 15 minute ride.

And the HEX for teo plus a taxi will be way more expensive than a car service door to door.

In this case the Tube is by far the best, and likeky fastest. The tube journey is around 45 minutes with a very easy cross platform change at Hammersmith. There are stairs at St. James Park (30) but they’re shallow and it’s only around ten feet (3.5 meters) in elevation, and SJP is a fairly quiet station. The tube costs only £3.10 per person using Oyster or Contactless.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 14:07
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
47 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

Tube will definitely take longer than Express, with exchanges both ways, and factor in those stairs with luggage, but the Express tickets will definitely be spendy with such little time to go. Paddington taxi rank moves quickly and it's a very short drive to the park. Still, Tube is dirt cheap! Can't beat that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
58,877 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

'Tube will definitely take longer than Express, with exchanges both ways' Not necessarily. The cross platform change at Hammersmith takes about 20 seconds, and with eight trains an hour from LHR T2,3 there won't be the down time of waiting for a HEX train.

As well, it's a much shorter walk from T2 arrivals to the Undergound station than to Heathrow Central for the HEX (take the escalator, the T2 lifts are slow), and the Underground is much cheaper.

If bob1keller would like to avoid stairs then take the Underground to Hyde Park Corner. Sit at the front of the train to be nearest the way out at HPC station. Escalator up from platform to ticket hall then a short ramp up to street level at exit 1 Knightsbridge north side (turn left out of the station). Wait a minute or two for a taxi with its For Hire light on and hail it for the much shorter ride to your hotel.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
33,604 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

“Tube will definitely take longer than Express, with exchanges both ways, and factor in those stairs with luggage”

============

No it won’t. You have to consider the entire journey. I forgot to mention that from T2 (where Lufthansa arrives) it’s only a 2 minute walk to the tube station vs an 8 minute walk to the HEX. So that’s more time to add to the HEX journey.

As I travel on business (expenses) I once decided to rip off my company and take the HEX then taxi to Victoria (one stop closer to St. James Park) and the next week took the tube, and I compared the times. The tube was faster.

And, when (18 months to 2 years) the Elizabeth Line runs from Heathrow through Central London, rendering the HEX as utterly useless, St. James Park will be (one of the few locations) still more convenient to take the tube.

And the stairs at SJP will (unless you live in a castle) be much easier than carrying your bags upstairs and downstairs at home.

Edited: 16 August 2018, 16:02
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

"The cross platform change at Hammersmith takes about 20 seconds, " Assumes that you don't then have to wait for a District Line train.

Why will the full implementation of Crossrail render HEx useless. Crossrail will still be one train every thirty minutes, Hex every 15. Crossrail wont be non stop. HEx has first class for the toffs who dpnt like mixing with riff raff.

Buena Vista...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

Thanks to all responses, I very much appreciate your advice. We’ll probably take the “tube” and the shallow stairs at SJP should not be problem. I understand that this station is less than a quarter mile to the hotel and only 5 minute or less walk. Looking forward to my London visit (not counting airport transfers).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,511 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage

The route on the Underground is easy. Nothing to fear.

Reply to: From Heathrow to central London with Luggage
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted