We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

We are traveling from Oakland to London/Gatwick on Norwegian Airlines and need to get to Pisa from there. Our flight arrives London 12:40pm. There is an EasyJet flight from Gatwick to Pisa leaving at 2:30pm—-does 2 hours give us enough time to catch this flight?

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,664 Reviews
from USD 123.10*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor, and Bath with...
2,249 Reviews
from USD 113.20*
Best Seller
London Harry Potter Tour of Warner...
746 Reviews
from USD 103.00*
10 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Only chance is if Norwegian is on time AND you've booked BOTH flights through Gatwick Connects.

https:/…gatwickconnects

Otherwise, you need 4-5 hours between flights (disembark, clear Immigration, collect luggage, re-check luggage and go through Security again0.

If they are separate, then please read this Traveller Article about the risks associated with "connecting" on separate tickets:

https:/…Connecting.On.Separate.Tickets.html

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Norwegian don't have the best record for arriving on time and given that you have to get through immigration, retrieve bags and then check in for the next flight, I wouldn't risk it unless you have the kind of travel insurance that will stump up for a new ticket - and even then they may require that you leave a specified amount of time for connecting flights.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Thank you, you confirmed what I thought. Now I need to decide if we should stay overnight at Gatwick and fly to Pisa the next day, or transfer to Heathrow and fly to Rome. Any advice on this topic?

Wiltshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Wiltshire
Level Contributor
10,918 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Take a night, location to be decided. Could be in central London with a few hours sightseeing? Fast trains from Gatwick, easy to get back to Gatwick or onto Heathrow

If you decided to go to Heathrow on arrival realistically that means you take a flight well into that evening - 5 hours from landing at Gatwick is a Minimum. Add in Pisa being an hour ahead of London and suddentiy you are getting to a Pisa hotel in the wee small hours of the next day, Great start to a trip!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
348 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Have you considered taking a later flight to somewhere else in northern Italy, Genoa or Bologne for example? Spend the night there and then take the train to Pisa the next day. That way you can see more of the countryside in Italy.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Yes i agree its not the greatest idea. On to another plan!

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Yes i have. It’s the best idea, I think. Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,366 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Changing to Heathrow isn’t going to be much fun.

The route between the two airports is one of Europe’s busiest and often experiences delays.

For those with separate flights (one at Gatwick, another at Heathrow - or vice versa), we suggest allowing 5-6 hours between flights. Better still, not to have to make that particular journey.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Good to know. I won’t do it!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
6,649 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control

Even GatwickConnnects or Worldwide by easyJet won't allow this connection - I believe they require 3 hours. If you have not yet booked your flight from OAK, go to www.easyjet.com and select Worldwide.

Reply to: Gatwick Airport customs/passport control
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted