We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Given Name on Flight Booking

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Given Name on Flight Booking

I've booked a flight for my friend and I from London to Oslo. I thought her name was Mary Han Ning Chen, and entered Mary Chen as her name on the ticket. Turns out that on her passport her name is Han Ning Mary as her given name. Is this likely to cause problems for her getting on the flight? Unfortunately we didn't notice this mistake for a couple of weeks and it's a £50 charge to update the name.

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,662 Reviews
from USD 122.40*
Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,249 Reviews
from USD 112.50*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
746 Reviews
from USD 102.40*
11 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

Pay the £50. Sounds like a different name to me.

Warwickshire...
Destination Expert
for Cotswolds, Rome, London
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

Is teh Chen also on the passport?

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
347 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

i would call and talk to your airline. Sometimes they will waive the fee if it sounds legitimate. I know that I had an airline take pity on me one time when I put the wrong middle name to one of my kids. Good luck.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,350 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

First rule when booking flights for anyone, ask them for their name (and spelling) as it appears on their passport.

If you've booked directly with the airline, they may assist you with a name correction.

If you've booked with a third party, then expect it to cost more (if they'll do it at all).

I'd treat the £50 as a learning fee.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

<< I put the wrong middle name to one of my kids. >>

The airline asked for that ? I've never bothered putting middle names on tickets.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

Airline bookings need to be as the passport says. Pay the £50, it’s crap they charge for a name chang and I can see you’ve done an honest mistake, but the airline will get every penny they can get. It’s better than not going and coming back

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
347 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

<<The airline asked for that ? I've never bothered putting middle names on tickets>>

Yep, it asked for it online. In fairness, it was my stepson and I gave him the same middle name as my son and his father. I'm a bad stepmonster......

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

Issue solved. I called the airline (Norwegian) and they kindly changed/updated the name for free. Phew.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
7,103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

<< Yep, it asked for it online. >>

Yes, but I still never bother

Irvington
Level Contributor
197 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Given Name on Flight Booking

AMOS H...If you are flying internationally, the name on the ticket MUST MATCH the name on your passport, middle name included. So if you plan on flying internationally, I would bother if I were you.

Reply to: Given Name on Flight Booking
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted