We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

Hi

Me and my husband is from Singapore. We are planning to visit our first time to London and Manchester during Dec X'mas holidays. Here are some of my questions need advices from you all.

Below is my rough itinerary, is that doable ?

20-12 London Arrival 1pm, checked in hotel & explore near hotel (Victoria)

21-12 Palace of Westminster, London Eye ,The Graffiti Tunnel, Imperial War Museum, Sight-Seeing

22-12 London >> Oxford, Christ Church Cathedral, Oxford, University Church of St Mary the Virgin, Radcliffe Camera, Bridge of Sighs ( Will b taking coach)

23-12 London >> Bath, Roman Bath, Circus, Bath Abbey, Pulteney Bridge, Thermae Bath Spa

24-12 Windsor Castle (10-3pm) (25-26 closed )

25-12 London rest and relax in London ( afternoon tea any recommend in Victoria area? )

26-12 Sunset @ The Shard (25th closed), Borough Market

27-12 Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Trafalgar Square, The National Gallery

28-12 London >>Manchester , Old Trafford tour

29-12 York,York Castle, Mansion House, York, York Minster

30-12 Manchester Town Hall, Chinatown, Manchester, Manchester Cathedral, Exchange Square

31-12 Departure from Manchester

Thank You in advances

25 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

For 25 and 26 December have a look at these two links for suggestions.

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/wha…

https://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/wha…

I had a look at The Shard and currently was able to dummy book 25 December. You might want to contact them to see if that’s actually the case.

If it was me, with no public transport on 25 December, I would probably set aside all the sights you wanted to see from the outside within walking distance eg Buckingham Palace, Thames, Big Ben. I’d probably also walk through Hyde Park and see the swimming event. Then the Shard (being at least an hour walk one way) if that was available.

On 26 December, I probably sightsee inside Westminster Abbey and St Paul’s as suggested earlier.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

Being a more self guided type of traveller, I’d probably pick Oxford over Bath - closer to London so more time to see more of the place - you are on limited Winter daylight hours.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
675 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

While Manchester National Football Museum is free / donation entry, you still might want to pay to do some of the football interactive - well your husband might anyway and at that point you might as well pay £6 for the first two interactive, including the penalty shot.

UK
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

I don't think the OP should finalise their plans until we know what trains are/aren't running over Christmas - and this won't be announced for at least another month.

Someone suggested that the 24th would be a very busy day on the trains, but with it being a Monday this year I would expect that lots of people will take the day off and travel at the week-end. In fact I wouldn't even be surprised to see some of the customery Christmas Week engineering work to start on Christmas Eve - I remember this being the case last time Christmas was just after a week-end.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!

I would do Chester instead of York.

Reply to: London & Manchester 20- 31 Dec 2018 Itinerary help please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted