We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

Hi Folks,

I'll be in London on Sunday, June 3 and traveling to Gatwick Airport to catch a 10 am flight. I realized that with the recent timetable changes, the schedule has changed and the non-stop train I was hoping to take from St Pancras Station to Gatwick no longer exists... Can folks give me any guidance? Are the train schedules set in stone as of now? I continue to see alerts regarding "amended schedules" and it's a bit unclear to me what schedule I"m looking at!

I am closest to either Euston Station or King's Cross Station (if I have to take the tube). I have been researching and Google Maps says the fastest route is to take the tube to Victoria Station and catch the Gatwick Express - but I wasn't sure if Google Maps was updated with the newest Rail schedules.

Would folks suggest this route? And if so, any need for me to purchase my Gatwick Express ticket in advance?

Hope folks can help!

Best Seller
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
5,782 Reviews
from USD 120.40*
Best Seller
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor and Bath with Pub...
2,290 Reviews
from USD 110.70*
USD 123.10
4 replies to this topic
Delray Beach...
Level Contributor
854 posts
221 reviews
1. Re: London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

It is very easy Tom get to Victoria Dtation from Kingscross Station. I just took the Southern Line Train from Victoria to Gatwick, about 5 stops for £16.50. Go to the kiosk and very easy to use or go in the ticket line. Strangely yesterday when I was there in mid morning the Gatwick Express was cancelled, and everyone was taking the Southern line to Gatwick, no,problem, just a few extra stops and half the price! If I can do this, so can you. The thing about using the Underground or Tube from KingsCross to Victoria is you need to get an Oyster Card. I bought one on my last trip. Cost is £5 and then you add on for subsequent trips, daily pass or more. I keep my Oyster card and use it the next time. Worth the savings over time unless you are on,y planning to go one time on the Underground.

Edited: 26 May 2018, 10:58
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

There are still direct trains from St Pancras to Gatwick, but early on Sunday mornings they can be affected by engineering work.

Fortunately on the day you need to travel, there is a frequent service early in the morning from Victoria, and an all night service on the Victoria Line to get you from St Pancras to Victoria in about 10 minutes.

London
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
24,430 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

The big problem on Sunday 3rd June is going to be engineering work - no trains between Redhill and Gatwick Airport/Three Bridges until 08.45.

There will be rail replacement buses but I would recommend setting off an hour earlier than you would otherwise.

To be honest, Thameslink is in such a mess at the moment I would do that anyway.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,151 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule

Given both those engineering works (which have been incredibly messy in recent weeks) and the Thameslink omnishambles since last weekend’s major changes, I would travel down to Gatwick on Saturday evening and overnight at a hotel at or near the airport. I wouldn’t trust either Southern (replacement buses) or Thameslink (any trains running) when you have a 10am flight at risk.

I had planned to be in London for the coming week on a family visit, but my company sent me to Hong Kong and China for meetings and a conference. Given that my family homes’ main railway station is served by Thameslink I regard it as a blessing in disguise.

Reply to: London to Gatwick Airport on New Train Schedule
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted