We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

usd or euro

Abilene, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
69 reviews
Save Topic
usd or euro

I have some EURO left over from a trip. Would it be better for me to pay with EURO or USD in the London Airport? I am only stopping in the London airport on my way to another destination. Let me know. I live in the USA.

My research from XE Currency Converter as of 5/25/18 at 10:06 in the USA shows....

1, 1 EUR = 0.875484 GBP

2. 1 USD =0.751115 GBP

Mentioned in this post
The Euro Hotel
The Euro Hotel
758 Reviews
London, UK
14 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: usd or euro

Neither.

They use Pounds Sterling in the UK

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: usd or euro

I doubt you would get those rates spending cash in an airport.

Obviously the local currency would be preferred.

Kingston upon...
Level Contributor
812 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: usd or euro

Our currently is £ sterling, however I believe some shops take foreign currency. As you can use $ when you get home, it would seem more sensible to spend your euros well as least the paper money. Maybe keep the coins as souveniors.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
5,145 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: usd or euro

What are you buying?

Really, the BEST way is most likely with a credit card.

Greater London...
Level Contributor
768 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: usd or euro

If you use dollars you will be stuck with some Euros which are effectively waste paper once you get home, unless you are planning another Europe trip in the near future, so obviously spend the Euros first and if you use all of them, then start on the dollars.

The actual exchange rates are fairly irrelevant unless you have a use for the Euros elsewhere

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
6. Re: usd or euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2018, 03:05
Edited: 27 May 2018, 03:05

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
23,399 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: usd or euro

I doubt it matters at the airport. Neither will get a great rate but if your Euros are leftovers (and enough) I'd use them. No point quibbling about a few $$ for cash you can't use at home.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
43,470 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: usd or euro

Spend the Euros if you need to. Most places whatever London airport you mean, presumably LHR or LGW. Unless you are spending loads then there is not much point in worry ing about it.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Hurghada
Level Contributor
8,532 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: usd or euro

Stick with UK £ 👌🏽

10. Re: usd or euro

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2018, 10:05

Reply to: usd or euro
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted