We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Real ale pubs in city centre

Which Liverpool hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Real ale pubs in city centre

Hi,

Me & hubby (young 50 yr olds) are staying in The Liner next week for a few nights.

Any recommendations for a pub with good beers (preferably real ale) and with a lively and nice atmosphere please?

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Yes, ignore the reviews on here about the Dispensary. Some people have got a problem with the landlord and they use the Trip Advisor and other pub forums to vent their anger.

I rate the Dispensary as the best real ale pub in Liverpool, along with the Baltic Fleet, Liverpool's only brew pub whose Wapping Brewery is situated in the cellar.

All the other pubs mentioned above by other people are also worth visiting - if you have time!

The Swan is on Wood Street - it's a rock/metal/biker pub but their real ale isn't the best kept in town.

The Philharmonic on Hope Street, just up from the Fly In The Loaf, is also worth a peek. It's a Nicholsons pub (they are more popular in London) and the real ale is okay, but expensive compared to other places. The Gents toilets are worth a visit though, and it's also around the corner from Ye Cracke and another favourite mine, the Belvedere on Sugnall Street.

The Richard John Blackler Wetherspoons on Charlotte Row just off Lime Street has one of it's beer festivals on at the moment until the end of the month. It's not the best Wetherspoons about and service is hit and miss, but they had some interesting real ales on at the weekend that were surprisingly well kept for a 'spoons.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 08:14
St. Annes-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Ship and Mitre is my favourite these days, a fantastic real ale pub. The Lion is nearby and well worth a visit

But if you haven't been before you have to go to the Philharmonic, architecturally, I'd say it's the best pub in England.

In that part of town there is also the excellent little Belvedere, tucked away behind the Philharmonic Hall.

Enjoy your trip to Liverpool

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,777 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Ha ha - I've just read the 3 latest reviews of the Dispensary; all first time reviewers too which makes me suspect their authenticity!

I must live in a parallel universe to the ones these people live in who are giving such negative reviews - because it's always the complete opposite when I go in there.

Oh, and it doesn't help that there are two separate entries for the Dispensary on the the review pages!

Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

The Philharmonic sounds interesting..... I'll have to get hubby to report back on the gents though lol!

Thanks for all the suggestions folks, certainly looks like we may be extending our stay ;)

I'll let you know how we get on .

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Believe it or not, they have been known to let ladies into the gents' toilets at the Philharmonic at quiet times if you ask nicely!

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Doctor Duncan's has had a slight change in emphasis

They are selling " boutique" beers .

Now Doctor Duncan's is one of my favourites as I pop in for a pint if in between train times .

But I must say some of the beers are getting expensive these days close to £4 a pint .

Ok if you are just having the one .

I had a Californian IPA which was very nice and they have a wide range of this type of beer.

Can I add just another to the above list

The Caernarvon Castle , in Tarleton Street, just down the side street next to Marks and Sencers.on Church Street.

One of the smallest pubs but one of the most atmospheric.

Liverpool in a glass.

Pop in for a pint if shopping on Church Street

Edited: 24 October 2013, 18:03
Stafford, United...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
4,573 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Thanks leuca . Just been reading a tale about the curse of The Caernarvon Castle. Will pop in and hope not to see any cats ;)

http://www.slemen.com/twisttail.html

Might give Doctor Duncans a miss with those prices.

Really looking forwards to our visit. :)

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Aye, but I bet you will spend some time trying to fit the faces in there to fit the three lads in the tale.

Some look-a-likes ime

But haven't spotted the accordion player yet LOL

Central Coast, NSW
Level Contributor
241 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

This might seem like a silly question but what is meant by the term 'real' ales?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Real ale pubs in city centre

Please have a read of these links

http://www.camra.org.uk/ABOUTALE

brewdog.com/blog-article/craft-beer-v-real-a…

telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/10341446/Rais…

A list of Microbreweries in Australia is contained within this link

…wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_breweries_in_Aus…

Enjoy your research both reading and out in the field.