We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
149 helpful votes
London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Hoping to visit London and Liverpool soon. What is the best way to travel between the two cities-am looking for advice please re flights/ trains or buses? Thank you.

London
Level Contributor
14,276 posts
72 reviews
19 helpful votes
1. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

There are no air services between London and Liverpool.

There are express trains (Virgin trains) or slower stopping trains (London Midland). Prices vary depending on which operator you choose and how far ahead you book

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
2. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Train takes just over 2 hours. Check out the times on www.nationalrail.co.uk The cheapest tickets become available 12 weeks before departure. These are tied to a particular train. The trains depart Liverpool Lime Street and arrive London Euston.

Gibel

wirral
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

National Express will prob be cheaper than train but takes a lot longer! Enjoy Liverpool though, you will have a great time .

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
67 posts
4. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Every day between London and Liverpool run a lot of coaches. Connections carry the top two British carriers, Megabus and National Express. Prices are very attractive, but depends on the time of purchase. Discounts for children, youth and seniors, and many other attractive offers.

National Express & Megabus’ coaches are high-class vehicles, equipped with toilet, air conditioning, reclining seats and radio. Both carriers put the safety and comfort of passengers first, so the vehicles are equipped with a large number of safeguards. The operators are using modern vehicles with large panoramic windows and increased legroom. Some coaches on this route provide free Wi-Fi and can take passengers in wheelchairs on board the bus.

Travelling between London and Liverpool with National Express and Megabus takes about 5¾ hours. This is one of the cheapest transport options between Central London and Liverpool. Timetable & info available below:

http://www.europebus.co.uk/london-to-liverpool-with-national-express-and-megabus-coach/

http://www.nationalexpress.com/destinations/timetables/550.pdf

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
29,234 posts
74 reviews
125 helpful votes
5. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

I recently purchased a single from London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street for £11.50. I bought it exactly 12 weeks before I travel in the first week of October.

Last February I also purchased a single from Euston to Lime Street for £3.50 from Megabus who also sell discounted train tickets.

So for £3.50 or £11.50 you can travel on the same train as people who leave it until the last minute to purchase their tickets and who pay a lot more (£50+ more!?) than you have to pay.

I've also travelled from Lime Street to Euston for £24.00 First Class, which was cheaper than buying a standard class ticket !

Most of the trains from Liverpool to London are timetabled to take 2 hours 8 minutes, but on one occasion I was in London in 2 hours 2 minutes.

So basically the train is a lot quicker, and can be a lot cheaper, than the coach to get from London to Liverpool.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
4,376 posts
485 reviews
318 helpful votes
6. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Virgin Train from Euston

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
149 helpful votes
7. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Really appreciate all your help-I have another question please. It may be that I will be travelling from Dublin to Liverpool, more than likely by ferry to Holyhead. If so I will need to get a train from there to Liverpool, and once again would appreciate some guidance re trains. Is it better to buy my train tickets beforehand online or to buy them when I arrive in Holyhead? Many thanks once again.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
29,234 posts
74 reviews
125 helpful votes
8. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Re: travelling from Dublin to Liverpool.

Get the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and the train from Holyhead to Liverpool. I understand that there are "Rail/Sail" (or is it "Sail/Rail" ?) tickets but I'm not too clued up on how they work and if you can use one to get the train from Holyhead to Liverpool.

I have mentioned this on the forum several times but the ferry from Dublin to Liverpool does not go to Liverpool ! It goes to Birkenhead over on the Wirral. I really wish the ferry company Norfolk Lines (owned by DFDS) would make this more clear on their website.

Sailing into Birkenhead is no big deal, until you consider that the ferry arrives into Birkenhead at either 5am or 5pm. If you arrive into Birkenhead as a foot passenger at 5am then you would have to pre-book a taxi to pick you up from the ferry terminal and through the Mersey Tunnel to Liverpool as there is no public transport at that time of the day.

Even if you were to arrive into Birkenhead ferry terminal at 5pm you would probably have to arrange a taxi to get you to Hamilton Square Merseyrail station in Birkenhead so you could catch a train to Liverpool on the other side of the Mersey.

So if you want to avoid all of that hassle you should take the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead and get the train from there to Liverpool.

Torquay, United...
Destination Expert
for London, Devon
Level Contributor
29,707 posts
45 reviews
38 helpful votes
9. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

I'm going to hand you over to 'The man in Seeat 61' who will give you more information than you could possibly need.

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm#How%20to%20buy%20tickets%20in%20Ireland

Edited: 10 years ago
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
79 reviews
149 helpful votes
10. Re: London to Liverpool-what is the best way to travel?
Save

Thanks once again, you have all been so helpful. I love TripAdvisor!!

© 2022 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Australia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.