We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pub-real ale and great food?

Dubai
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Pub-real ale and great food?

Hi, I'm returning home to the lake district in a couple of weeks with my boyfriend. We are spending 1 night in a hotel in Windermere and would love to go to a great pub with a roaring fire, real ale and good food in Windermere/Bowness. We are coming from a country where its still 35 degrees everyday at the moment so cant wait to get the 'snuggled up in front of a roaring fire' feeling! We are looking for somewhere that would be open for lunch too as we may eat in the hotel in the evening.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

I am a bit out of touch with Windermere, but can recommend the Kirkstyle Inn at Lorton, if you fancy a bit of a drive one day - nice lunch, good beer (apparently) and roaring fire.

Keswick, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

Sorry - I mean Kirkstyle Inn at Loweswater, not Lorton.

Cumrbia
Level Contributor
76 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

Hi,

Check out the following link: thegoodpubguide.co.uk/eng/Recommended-Pubs…

The Hole In t' Wall or the Watermill should come pretty close to your requirements in the locality your interested in.

Alternatively if your willing to go further afield this web-site should help you.

Hope this helps

Dubai
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

Thank you both, I'll have a look at that link now-we're really looking for something in walking distance because we dont walk anywhere in Dubai so want to use our legs a bit!! We are staying at the Howbeck in Windermere. I'll look at the link now thanks

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

Thoroughly recommend the Watermill at Ings. Great home cooked food, great beers and their very own micro brewery.........waht more could you want?

lake district
Level Contributor
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

I can thoroughly recommend the Watermill at Ings too, very nice atmosphere, good food and a nice walk (no uphill) over from Windermere if you decide to (or 5 mins in a taxi).. Enjoy your stay

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,652 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

can second (or should that be third?) the Watermill, brews its own real ale as well.

Hole in't Wall lovely old stone pub and has the fire you're looking for but beer is not good or well kept, and there's usually a painful clique at the bar - think it stops serving food at 8

The Eagle and Child in Stave)ley is excellent for both food and real ale (amongst others they serve hawkshead beers - the brewery is in the village) but its a bit farther than Ings - would be along walk)

8. Re: Pub-real ale and great food?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2009, 16:31
Get answers to your questions about Windermere