We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

jbi
Preston
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

We stayed at center parcs mon-fri from 05 feb 2007 and despite the beautiful weather it turned into a catalouge of horrors!

On Tuesday morning we got our party ready for the swimming pool only to be told when we arrived that the pool had been closed due to circulation problems ...was this really the reason?

After a lovely walk we decided to lunch in the pub (the servcie and food standard of all resturants in another saga!) during our time at the pub the childrens play area was shut...hygenie reasons a child had been sick. My sister took her baby into the baby changing and the room was very dirty and the was very smelly.

Wednesday started off better as a very nice day was enjoyed by the ladies in the spa but upon our return to the chalet it went down hill.

By 6pm my brother in law had violent sickness and diaorrehea, by 10pm my sister and the baby (14 weeks old) had started and by 3am i has started (I am 24 weeks pregnant!).

The reason for posting this is too see if other people there last week have suffered the same syptoms.

As we do not live in the same areaa, had not been together before this in over 2 weeks and not had the same food the only place we could have pciked it up was center parks.

My brother in law is so ill he has been signed off work, the baby still had diaorrehea and is going back to the doctors tonight.

If you have also suffered from the bug this year (I know they had various problems the same last yeasr)we would love to know.

57 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,824 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

What a dreadful experience! Did you make enquiries with Center Parcs as to the extent of the problem?

I know these things can happen anywhere - even the plushest cruise ships have been suffering in recent years.

Hope you are all on the mend:-)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

What a horrible experience - hope you are all feeling better now.

Did you report your sickness to Center Parcs whilst you were there? Did they take any steps to help, eg call a doctor for you?

If it were me, I'd report this to the Environmental Health department -get in touch with your local council and they will be able to advise you.

Good luck.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

Someone posted here about being ill (a whole family) at a center parcs. Must have been within the past month or two, try searching, I don't recall which one it was.

jbi
Preston
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

Thanks for your messages of goodwill.....yes we did report it to the medical centre but they would not comment on how many other people had been effected but did give us a run down on what to do/the best way to treat it (seemed like they were used to reading out the guidelines!)

We also advised customer services who didnt really want to know.

We have seen doctors on our return and we are having samples tested at the moment in the meantime we are trying to establish how many other people were actully effected.

Durham
Level Contributor
5 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

We were at whinfell forest 19th to 23rd Feb for half term, my daughter who is never ill, was very poorly on the third day, my husband had stomach cramps and I was fine, so guess which one of us doesn't spend much time in the pool !!!!!

I am looking at reviews to see if any one elso had been ill as for us an expensive short holiday was spoilt. Unfortunately this is always going to be a problem as people are too selfish to stay out of the pool if they have had a stomach bug, this has sadly put us off returning to Center Parcs

6. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2017, 01:00

Lytham
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

My sister-in-law posted the original comments, and since then we have written to Centre Parcs and have been offered a £50 voucher. We have since sent another letter asking them to look at the offer again as we have no intention of returning and how to you split a £50 voucher between 3 couples who probably won't all go on holiday again anyway.

Durham
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

Hi

I have just put a post on today we have just returned from Whinfell Forest and me my partner and our 9 month old have all been violently ill since returning.

Its obviously not the food as our baby is not eating the same things as us.

I have rang customer services this morning and they were not interested what so ever!

Have the doctors found out what you had?

Lytham
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

By the time we got home & to the doctors the bug had gone so nothing was found.

After writing the first letter to them and being offered a £50 voucher we wrote a more strongly worded letter to which they then offered us a voucher for £150.

The best course of action I believe is to keep writing to them focusing on the cleanliness aspect and I'm sure they will listen to you.

Let us know how you get on.

Durham
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest

We all went to the doctors yesterday and he told us we all have gastroenteritis he says it is air borne and a virus!

We all were in the baby pool so I believe thats where we have got it from.

The baby is still being sick and has horrendous nappies he is off to A & E if he doesnt stop.

I will be writing to centre parcs and Ill let you know what they say.

Thanks

Reply to: Center Parcs Sickness - whinfell forest
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Penrith